Author Topic: 5.5 month old wakes every half hour from 4-6am  (Read 2478 times)

Offline jkitiara

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5.5 month old wakes every half hour from 4-6am
« on: December 08, 2016, 22:02:08 pm »
I've been trying to read some other threads because I know this time comes with lots of issues. My little guy sleeps great from 7:30pm-3am generally. We have just done one night feed around 3 or 4 am since he was 3 months old. He has almost always done what I call the wake-and-wiggle at 4, 5 and 6 am, then waking up at 7am. I used to just ignore it and he would make a few noises and fall back asleep.

Now he wakes up completely every time. My husband or I has to get up, give him the paci, pat his belly, etc. We try to wait one minute to see if he'll wind down again, but he just wakes himself up more and screams and makes it tougher for us. He does not fall asleep at BT or after feed with paci but uses it for naps and won't fall asleep these times without it.

He is a short, poor napper--often does just 3 thirty minute naps a day. So he's super tired at night. I think he would go to bed at 6 some days if we let him, but when I let bedtime creep up to 6:45pm, his wake up time (where he is too happy and energetic to convince him to sleep, even with paci) moved up to 5:30am. Now we push him to 7:30pm and his wake up time is 6:15 or so.

I can handle getting up at 6:15, but NOT if I also wake up at 3, 4, 5, and 5:30. A few nights last week it was every 15 minutes! What to do? He was teething 2 weeks ago but the bottom 2 popped and he seems to be in less pain over it.

My husband seems to think we just suck it up and go sleepless until something changes. I disagree.

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: 5.5 month old wakes every half hour from 4-6am
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 06:09:58 am »
Hi!

So sorry to hear about those EWs! They sure are rough! Hang in there, mom! ;) hugs.

Now, from what I read, what jumped out most was the wake and giggle... and poor naps. This is a big sign of usually... under tired.

However, it would be best to assist you and offer some advice/suggestions if you could please post your daily routine in EASY format. Maybe we can do some tweaking in his day to help that NW/EW. Is he BF or FF?

Xo :)
Fabi

Offline jkitiara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 13:46:57 pm »
Sure! I just recently scaled back the number of feedings. He currently can take 5 oz at a time. Any more and the spit up is crazy. Also he takes meds for acid reflux and it seems to be under control now after we upped the amount this week. It might not have been during the worst of this (i.e. when he woke every 15 min).

6:15am wake happy
7am eat (he eats every 2 hrs due to intense spit up issues. I do not feed him to sleep but it is the beginning of our nap routine)
8:30 asleep (sometimes this is only 30 min, but more and more lately it's a 1.5 hr nap)
10am wake and eat
12:30 sleep
1 wake and eat
2 eat solid food
3:30/4 sleep
4:45 wake and eat
5:45 eat (I still split evening bottle into smaller amounts due to lots of spit up)
7:15 eat
7:30 bed
3am eat

Offline jkitiara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 00:15:14 am »
oh and he's FF

Offline FPT23

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 14:25:15 pm »
Hello :)

I would most def associate waking every 15 mins to discomfort. I would try and handle that as best as you can. Many hugs. Poor baby!

Also, around this time, baby starts to transition to 2 naps a day rather than 3... I would consider pushing the A times a bit. Starting with maybe his morning nap... or before his second nap- whatever you would like. Push by 15 min increments and stay there for 3-4 days until LO has adjusted. Sleep gets a little funny at this age with that transition.

Also, teeth start to make their appearance more or less around this time for some. Maybe teething meds before BT if you feel that can be an issue.

And of course, developmental. Many begin to roll well or start wanting to crawl around this stage. New found mobility can disrupt nights as well.

Hope this helps! Xo
Fabi

Offline alwaystired

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 02:24:47 am »
Between weeks 19 and 26 are 'wonder weeks'. I JUST went through 6 nights of night waking every 1.5 hours ON THE DOT. It was torture, but its a developmental thing. It will pass. He finally rolled over the next day of his last night of crappy sleep.

Offline jkitiara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 14:19:33 pm »
So almost two months later (just turned 7 months) he is still sleeping the exact same way. It seems habitual at this point. I just reread the sleep portion of BW and she doesn't give any advice for how to get out of this.

We just dropped the last feeding no problem. Last night and the night before he woke at 12:30am, 2, 5, 5:30, 6, 6:30.

Those last 2 hours feel like actual literal torture. I get up, pick up up, rock for 30 sec, set him down and give him the paci and he's out again. Then right as I'm falling asleep he starts crying again. If I leave him he becomes hysterical but I'm going to have to start CIO pretty soon--I woke up crying myself today and my husband is freaking out now too.

Can anyone give me a suggestion?

EASY
6:30 wake and eat
9:30 nap
11 wake and eat
3 nap
5 wake and eat
8:30 eat and bedtime

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 16:18:58 pm »
Hi sorry you're still struggling.

We aren't supporters of CIO on this site and would recommend PUPD for his age instead. Have you tried this before or has he always been rocked? If so he's probably come to rely on this as his only way to resettle during the night.

I also wonder if he's getting too much day sleep? Have you tried reducing it at all to see if it stops some of those NW. It could be that day sleep is robbing his night sleep. I would say 3hrs max during the day. Maybe slightly less than that might help.
Lauren

Offline jkitiara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 17:25:13 pm »
His standard day sleep is around 2.5 hrs. So I don't think that's it.

When I say I rock him, what I mean is that i put him on my shoulder and pat his back for maybe ten seconds. He goes right back to sleep. I did PUPD for his naps and was very successful. It's basically what I do at night. Getting him BACK to sleep is not the problem. It's keeping him asleep for more than an hour!

I have no desire to actually do CIO. I'm just feeling desparate and exhausted. I am crying every morning which is not healthy for me or him.

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:21:58 am »
Hi there!

I see that your LO is around 7 months? How are things??

I used to cry so much, too... it's awful what sleep deprivation can do to you.  :'(

Offline FPT23

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 19:40:29 pm »
I'm so sorry :(

How about you try and do some of the following suggestions and stick with it for a bit to see if it makes any changes?

I cry STILL with our 2-1 transition. It's hard mama hang in there :(
Fabi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:24:34 am »
Re sleep routine - when you wrote your email at the end of January it seems that he sleeps 3.5 (1.5+2) and have 14h day. But than you wrote that he sleeps 2.5 and have 14h day still? If so, he might be OT.
~Marta