Author Topic: 16 week old won't drink much  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
16 week old won't drink much
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:55:57 am »
My DS has never been a big drinker but I'm really struggling to get him to feed which is obviously causing quite a few night wakings. He is usually really content in between feeds so he has been on 4 hourly. Occasionally I'm lucky and he wil drink 6 ozs and mostly just drinks 3or 4 ozs. I tried moving back the 3 hourly but he will drink even less. How can I get him to drink more? The only time he drank lots was when I gave him fast flow teats for 6 month old but we had terribly nights as I think he made him really windy. That was a month ago so do you think I should try the fast flow teats again now he's four months nearly? A friend suggested I start giving him baby rice mixed with milk to get more into him? Any advice please? He probably only has 20-25oz in a 24 hour period and he should be having at least 28oz.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 16 week old won't drink much
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 17:15:19 pm »
He probably only has 20-25oz in a 24 hour period and he should be having at least 28oz.

Honestly if he's content between feeds and keeping to his growth curve then he's just fine and taking the right amount for him. The *should* in 24 hours is an average, you need to be guided by him. My 91st centile chunky DD never took more than 25oz a day (and that was a VERY good day) no matter what I did and she grew just fine. Even now at 7 she looks like she eats really well  ::) but in reality she doesn't, she eats a lot less than her skinny 9th centile big brother ;D.

Don't start rice cereal, you will actually get less calories as the rice will fill his tummy with empty calories and mean he gets less milk. Formula is more calorific than rice.

I would try the faster flow teat again and see how he does but if he is able to go 4 hours between feeds just keep doing what you are doing.

Laura

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:27:06 am »
Thanks Laura.  Very reassuring. Will chill out and enjoy what a happy little boy he is. X

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 22:14:13 pm »
Thanks Laura.  Very reassuring. Will chill out and enjoy what a happy little boy he is. X

Hahah - good luck with that one, don't think I've managed that yet even when logic tells me to! ;D :P

Laura