Author Topic: Have we tried everything?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline ap375

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 20, 2016, 14:23:02 pm »
We're needing suggestions on how to help our 14-month-old sleep longer in the morning. I've read everything that is in the general forums, but just discovered this one for toddlers. I'll be reading here, but in the meantime, wanted to post my question because I can't get online easily right now. If I've missed something, please let me know.

Before daylight savings and before a trip a few weeks ago to visit family, our LO slept until 7 or 7:30 every morning. Now, he's waking up at 5am, and it's killing us (and his sister, who he has to share rooms with until we can move to a bigger place).

We've reduced external stimuli - that's helped him sleep better during the night, but hasn't changed when he wakes up - and we've tried gradually shifting his whole schedule in increments. He didn't respond well to that either, perhaps because he is going back and forth between one and two naps a day.

We switched him to one nap, and that went well for about two weeks, but then he made it obvious that he needed more sleep. He was happier again with two naps for a couple of weeks. But now, he's skipping his second nap again, and is awake for too long before bedtime. It's really hard to follow his cues sometimes!

His bedtime is usually 7, 7:30, but we've been putting him down around 6, hoping to try shifting his schedule in increments again, once we get his nap schedule figured out.

Cranky, tired babies are super hard! We're open to any suggestions. Please let us know if there's something more we can be doing, and like I said, I'll be reading in this section of the forum as much as I can. Can’t believe he's a toddler now! Many thanks!

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Have we tried everything?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 15:10:17 pm »
Hugs hun!  Those 5am wakings are the worst!  Given he's sleeping to 6pm-5am, that's an 11hr night and I really wouldn't expect an LO this age to do any more than that, given that he's also taking 1-2 naps also.  I think he probably is ready to push for 1 long PM nap, which would in turn (hopefully) make BT a little more reasonable. 

What I would probably do is cap his morning nap to max 30mins.  So if he's waking at 5am I would do a 30min nap from 9:30-10 and then do a long PM nap around 3hrs later.

So something like:
WU 5
Nap 9:30-10
Nap 1-3
BT 7

This will hopefully achieve a later BT and a later WU, at which point you would work towards cutting that morning nap altogether.   

Offline ap375

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:31:38 pm »
Okay, thank you so much. :) We were out running errands yesterday, and he ended up taking only one nap and wasn't cranky the whole day. Should we just go to the one nap now? And then work towards gradually shifting him to a later wakeup time?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Have we tried everything?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 13:21:18 pm »
If you want to go for 1 nap you can absolutely do that, I was just thinking it might be a long haul from 5am to a decent nap time.  But if he can handle it then go for it :)