Author Topic: weaning from pacifier  (Read 1538 times)

Offline alwaystired

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
weaning from pacifier
« on: December 21, 2016, 20:07:43 pm »
Hi all. Apologies if this is somewhere else on the board. My ds is 6 months old and has silent reflux, so I was using the pacifier to help him sleep at night. Hes on meds now and we're still working out the dosage. Anyways, he wakes every 2 hours at night now and I'm still trying to figure out why. One thing that is consistent is that when I go in to his room, his pacifier is out. Sometimes he goes back to sleep when I put it back in his mouth, othertimes he uses me as his pacifier. I'm not sure if his waking is because he can't find his soother, his reflux or a leap, but it wouldn't hurt to wean him from it regardless. Ironically, he initially wouldn't take a pacifier for the first 3 months until I found a brand he liked. I've tried to introduce him to a lovey and he does like it (just a small crocheted blanket that I slept with for a few nights to get it to smell like me) but he wont sleep unless the damn pacifier is in his mouth (which is why I think I'm bordering on APOPing situation).
Any good tips or could someone point me in the right direction? I've already begun with cutting his awake time with it cold turkey...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: weaning from pacifier
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 20:15:59 pm »
To be honest, if you haven't got the meds dose right yet I would hold off on getting rid of the paci as the sucking helps the reflux.

What you can do instead is to help him learn to replug it by himself, he may be a little young but it's worth a try. I'm pretty sure both my DD could get it in by herself at this age and at night I used to throw as many as i could fine into the cot around her head so she had a better chance of finding one. The other thing we used to do when we went into her at night was to push one near her hand for her to find and put in herself rather than automatically replugging it for her.

Both my refluxers had pacis , we got rid of DS's cold turkey at 4 months, I didn't know then it helped reflux and SIDS guidelines have changed too since then. DD had hers until she was 3, but after she turned 1 we did keep it only for sleep.

Laura

Offline alwaystired

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: weaning from pacifier
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 00:29:53 am »
Hes almost got it when hes awake (plugging it in by himself) but night time the little stinker still loves to be swaddled. Now that he rolls, we swaddle him and strap him into his (non moving) swing because he will keep rolling and crying.  We had him unswaddled cold turkey for 2 weeks and it was hell (it was the same time that he started rolling over). Anyways, we can get 2 hour naps from him swaddled vs 30 minutes unswaddled. I've found it helps a little bit at night too. Once he can roll both ways, we will put him in his crib again, (unswaddled). I'm giving him LOTS of tummy time during the day and helping him practice to roll from tummy to back.
Its so hard to tell what the issue is. I've introduced solids about a month ago and he actually slept a bit better the night I introduced them, but he had pears yesterday for the first time and now his bum is all red. My hubby also made me eggs yesterday and forgot about the milk allergy and cooked them in butter and didn't even realize it til AFTER. So many variables! Either way, cus his bum is all red, we're just going to be doing breast milk for a week and see if that helps calm things down. No Christmas cookies for me this year!