Author Topic: 9 months earlier and earlier wake-ups  (Read 3661 times)

Offline peanutmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 9 months earlier and earlier wake-ups
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 19:27:41 pm »
Thank you ladies! I agree completely with all of you, she needs to have her morning nap no more then 1h. Also, in the last couple of days I tried moving her nap time from 9am to 9.30am and from 1pm to 1.15-1.30pm. And it helped! She sleeps no more then 2.5h total for naps now. BT is at 7pm and she woke up around 7am!!! Actually I had to wake her up today at 7.10!!! weeeeee. The only issue we have is - this happened when she was home with me, and this is what I got from daycare:

slept for 44 mins from 9:28 to 10:12
slept for 37 mins from 1:22 to 1:59

She was a mess around 6pm... I talked to them about naps and EWs but because she is in the youngest group, there is nothing they can do about little peanuts that eat/poop/cry every 2-3 hours....

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 20:22:39 pm »
If she has had shorter naps at daycare, could you put her to bed a bit earlier?  That should help avoid the evening mess and EW from being OT .  Some LOs do just sleep less at daycare, regardless of what the staff try.  Just so much going on and so many other kids in the sleep room together.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline peanutmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 21:50:16 pm »
We have done it before, but it didnt change anything... She was still waking up around 4am-5am. But, right now, when she is so active and if she sleeps only 1 hour at the daycare, I just can not keep her awake till 7pm, she is miserable, and passes out at 6.30-6.45 no matter what we do...
Will see how it goes on vacation and after, please keep me in your prayers - Im gonna go insane with all that crawling on the hotel floor, sand eating, flying in the car seat (she hates that care seat sooo dearly), and the whole family telling us how to raise our baby.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 23:20:02 pm »
I do feel for you (especially the family on holiday situation), but remember this is is for such a short period only. My baby was an awful sleeper and he turns 7 next week - it seems like a lifetime ago now!

Offline peanutmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 23:23:50 pm »
Thank you! I hope so too :) Will post an update after we are back. Thank you all again!!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 09:46:07 am »
Good luck for the holidays!!

Offline peanutmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 14:49:19 pm »
Hi all the beautiful ladies :))

Just wanted to give you an update. So during our vacation my girl had her 2 top teeth! Im so happy for her, but you have no idea what I went through all these 5 nights, it was not a vacation... it was hell for me. She didnt have any fever but her night sleep was 5 min here and 10 min there...

Now we are home for a week and it's a mess. She want's to be held and thats it. I can't blame her, after grandma and grandpa spoiled her 24/7 for 6 days on vacation - thats what we are left with. Any advice on this? :( She used to play by herself right next to us with no problem, but now - it's insane.

When it comes to night sleep and naps, this is where we are: 2 naps - morning is 1 hour, afternoon - 1,5 hours. BT by 7pm. It helped with 4am wake ups. But we still have 5.10-6am wake ups. Im ok with 6am as this would give her around 13hours total. But every time she is up earlier then 6am - she is not herself for the rest of the day. She is not hungry, she is not in pain, she just cries till we get her and start our day. Also, I have noticed, if she cant find her pacifier when waking up after 4am - thats it, she would go into the crying coma. Maybe I should start weaning off the binky? She only has it in her crib and can fall asleep without it.

I am the only one who's baby wakes up that early at almost 10 month? I hear everyone say their babies sleep till 7am or 8am! How? :/ 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 08:05:01 am »
You are certainly not the only one who has a baby waking early at this age. Mine was always up early (5am, the 4.30ams were a killer, at one point I got us closer to 6-6.30am and then the clocks changed an hour!! making it 5.30 again).

10 months is a common time for sleep routines to change anyway and it's not uncommon to be tweaking a routine then have it disturbed by teething and then the 2-1 signs arrive.  With the 2-1 nap drop some stay on 2 naps for a long time, others drop to 1 quite early, mine was 11-12 months which is considered quite early.
She might need one of those naps a bit shorter to help her get a longer night now.  Probably reducing the morning nap as that is the shorter one already.
Want to post your EASY so we can see the times of WU, naps and BT?

Offline peanutmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 16:57:43 pm »
Thank you for your support :)))

This is her EASY right now and for the last 3-4 weeks:

WU around 6am (anywhere from 4.45am to 7am) and play with me
E  7am - 8oz formula
A  8am - 4oz solids then play
S  9.30 NAP (no more then 1hour)
E  11am - 7-8oz formula and play
A  12.00 Lunch 4oz solids and play
S  1.30pm NAP (1.5hrs)
E  3pm - 7-8oz formula then play
A  4pm - snack (yogurt of puffs with fruit) 
A  5.30pm -  dinner 3-4tbsp cereal with 2oz formula then play
A  6.15pm - bath
S  6.45pm - 8oz formula and sleeping by 7pm

Some notes: She cant skip morning nap, we have tried but she would pass out by 10am no matter what we did. Also, we have a camera in her room and noticed sometimes space heater wakes her up a little if it turns itself on between 4am-6am and she can't go back to sleep and starts crying even tho still very sleepy :( Today she woke up around 4.45am, started to cry on and of till 5.40am... I made a mistake of going to check on her and she just lost it when she noticed me :( CIO 6am-6.15am and then fell asleep and woke up the happiest baby at 7am... I dont know anymore what to do...

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 18:54:45 pm »
I would probably try moving both naps and BT later.  The A time doesn't really increase (well it does a little for a couple of days but longer term it is the same) it just moves everything on. The way we do when the clocks change.  You should be able to move everything on by an hour that way.
Nights might still be on the shorter side, looks like maybe a little OT before BT could be adding to the EW so I would try to reduce the last A time a little, maybe make BT 7.30 rather than 8pm when you shift the rest of the day by an hour.
What do you think?

Offline peanutmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 21:40:29 pm »
I could try it...How long this usually takes? As I said - she is very sleepy by 9.30am and to keep her till 10am will be a struggle... same with BT past 7pm. Also, her daycare has a nap times at 9.30-11am and then 1.30-3/3.30pm and Im worried about that as she wont be able to sleep past 11am and 3ish pm as most of the kids will be up.

Im trying a different space heater tonight and will try to move her naps and BT 30min this week. Thank you again, will keep you posted

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 18:44:11 pm »
A 1hr change for the clocks is usually done over a few days to a week depending on how sensitive LO is.
Some people do the shift all in one go whilst others move everything on 15 mins per day, there are a few different ideas here:
How to Adjust to Daylight Savings
and this one describes moving WU and BT over 4 wks but tbh I've never come across anyone here who has moved things this slowly
Moving Wake Up and Bedtime
What is often key is to move ALL parts of the routine, so moving feed times not just sleep times as these help LO know where they are in the day.

I can see how the day care nap times make this tricky though.  If you can't move the whole day on I would suggest trying an earlier BT to avoid OT before BT which can lead to OT EWs.

Offline peanutmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 14:41:15 pm »
now im thinking if its gonna take around 4 weeks, should we even start doing it if on March 12th we are moving 1 hour forward... Also, yesterday had to wake her up at 7am as she slept beautifully all night! But this morning omg :((((( 5am cry and now passed out at 8.30am...