Author Topic: Almost 4 month old bedtime issues -PLEASE HELP  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Jade1245

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Almost 4 month old bedtime issues -PLEASE HELP
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 04:17:53 am »
Thanks for you reply will give it a try. He sometimes does the 1.5hr naps on his own but usually the morning nap is 1.5hrs sometimes even 2 and the second nap is sometimes shorter and only 45 mins. He he really wakes from the cat nap on his own. I shall give your suggestion a try and see how we go.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:13 am »
OK :)
It would be a great help if you can jot down your EASY as the day goes on so that when you come to post it we can see exactly how long he slept (and at exactly what time he fell to sleep and woke up), if he woke after a short nap, if you helped him to resettle and if you managed to get him back to sleep.

Perhaps try the routine for a few days and then post with an update so we can have another look.

Offline Jade1245

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 09:47:23 am »
We have been away for a few days and tried to follow the routine as much as possible. We had moved to a cot at about 3 months but whilst away we had to use the bassinet. I'm not sure if it coincidence or not but he settled with no fuss at all his naps and with little fuss at bedtime. If I think back this is about the same time the trouble started today I have put him in his bassinet which is sitting in his cot and he has gone down easily.

This is how our day went.

7.30 wake and feed
9.25 fell asleep
11.35 woke and fed
1.40 fell asleep
2.20 woke helped him resettle took ten mins
3.25 woke
3.30 fed
5.20 fell asleep
6.05 woke
6.30 feed
Bedtime routine
7.30 feed
8.20 fell asleep

I'm going to continue with this routine and in the bassinet for a few days and see how we go. Is it common for babies this age to not like their cots?

Offline creations

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 21:40:31 pm »
That looks like a great day!  I know you had to help for 10 mins on that second nap but that doesn't seem too bad at all considering you're trying a new routine and have also been away.

Babies seem to like small cosy cocoon type places for sleep, the cot might seem too "open" or possibly less warm while the bassinet is more snugly and maybe a touch warmer.  I did not use a bassinet but I imagine an average one would be ok for a LO up to maybe 6 months old or so - is that right? I think so long as the sleeping arrangements are safe then then you can continue to put to sleep in the bassinet in the cot. This way LO is accustomed to the view from the cot and the whole environment of the cot but with the temporary comfort of the smaller sleeping place in the bassinet.  You may need to reconsider for safety reasons if/when LO can sit up or roll.

Sounds like you are doing great :)

Offline Jade1245

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 10:21:39 am »
Just a quick update. We have been doing this routine for a few days now and it seems to be going we. I have been having to wake him from his second nap as he has been sleeping sometimes over two hours !!!! This then pushes the catnap out too late as he often fights the catnap and it takes me a while to put him down. He also wakes every night at about 9.15 for a feed regardless of when he goes to bed but I can usually feed him and put him straight back down. This new routine is much better than our previous hours of crying and walking the hallways. I would eventually like to get him to a 7pm bedtime but I'm sure that will come in time. Thankyou for all your guidance, you helped save my sanity  ;)

Offline creations

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 18:37:50 pm »
Sounds good :)

It probably won't be all that long before he can do a longer A time before those two naps making each of them later, and for as long as he can sleep and then no CN. When the CN is dropped that's when BT will come earlier again.  So this later BT is not for ever. many drop the CN at 6 months.

Glad you have your sanity intact ;)

Offline Jade1245

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 21:35:58 pm »
We were going ok on this routine but now when he wakes 45 mins after going to bed he won't settle again for hours I've tried feeding him, changing his nappy, rocking him even driving around in the car it's every night without fail and tips on how I can stop this waking or what might be causing it.

Offline creations

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:05 am »
Is the day sleep still on track?

Anything else going on? Any changes to feeding or temperature or visitors/activities?  Teething?

Have you tried a W2S at around 30 mins after BT?  Go in quietly and either begin shush/pat or be ready (hand hovering over him) for the transition to come and sooth him through before he fully wakes.  You might need to continue for 20 mins until he is in deep sleep again.
If you try this for a few nights and it is not successful then I would probably extend the last A time of the day by 15 mins and see if that helps. I'm aware your LO was doing some long A times already, if BT ends up too late it might be time to cap the last nap of the day a little.  If you are still running it as a full nap of 1.5 to 2hrs this might be a time to try reducing back to a CN.  If it's a CN already it might be time to extend the other A times in the day and move to 2 naps.
let me know what you think, we can look at it together :)

Offline Jade1245

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 20:41:53 pm »
No major changes I don't think he is teething. He doesn't seem to be in pain he is happy if I'm holding him. I'm going to try WTS tonight and see if that helps. I wanted to try it last night but he wouldn't settle at bedtime which meant he was awake from after his cat nap at 6 until 11.30 !!!!!! I am wondering if it is time to move to 2 naps he just didn't seem tired at bedtime. The second day nap has been a bit touch and go the last week he sometimes wakes after the first sleep cycle and I can some times resettle him other times I can't. I shall try WTS for a couple of nights and if no luck with that I might try extending wake times gradually, what do you think ?

Offline creations

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 22:47:08 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. It does seem your LO likes longer A times and may be ready to drop a nap a bit earlier than the norm.