Author Topic: Sleep and napping  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Katiepearn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 31, 2016, 22:01:27 pm »
Hi,
My baby is 9 weeks old, I breastfeed. She uses me as a pacifier through the night and most times to go to sleep which I don't mind at the moment as I know this will become less as I decide to move to bottles (any tips would be appreciated though! I've tried dummies she just cries through the night until I give her boob again . What I find is she only seems to sleep for around 10 minutes before waking up and searching for my boob. If I wake up and manage to calm her she will fall back to sleep but this is a process we repeat constantly. She makes so many grunting whining noises throughout the night we both get such a broken sleep! Is this normal and just a leap she is going through? Im thinking maybe formula will fill her up more and she will sleep more sound? It's my first baby so it's all new ground to me.
Thanks for any help x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Sleep and napping
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:42 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

I'm not able to give advice on breast feeding I'm afraid but just wanted you to know that your post has been seen and some experienced eyes will be your way soon.
There is lots of support here and lots of Mums experienced with BF. I would suggest holding off on your decision to switch to formula for now and just see where the support can get you to first.  I know it's a huge decision to make (one I had to make before I'd found the wonderful ladies here) and there will be support here for you either way.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 14:07:18 pm »
 Hi!

Your LO is very young and it's normal to need night feeds at this age and go back to sleep on the boob but to sleep for such a short time after the feed and to be grunting and whining is very disturbing for you and get. 

Sounds to me like she might have trapped wind. Sometimes LOs want to keep sucking to relieve that.

Do you burp her well after the feed? (Tricky at night I know but worth it).
 Can you have her upright for a little bit before going back in the cot?
Have you experimented with feeding positions to see if there are any to reduce amount of air swallowed on feed? (Sorry it's a while since I was BFing a newborn my kids are 1 & 3 now, I can't remember exact advice on feeding positions to help with wind)- but maybe someone else can advise...or a Google? I think we used "biological nursing" where you place LO on it's tummy on your chest to feed rather than cradle hold and that and help reduce wind.

My DSsuffered bad trapped wind and discomfort, especially with NFs and we did get some medication to use before feeds for him but I know that not everyone wants to go down medication route with a you d baby, but if you do, talk to add or pharmacist for advice.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 17:03:04 pm »
Have you trieddoubt shush pay over your shoulder instead of just feeding her constantly?

Does she do any longer stretches of sleep between feeds?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011