Author Topic: 8 months and weaning the NF  (Read 1379 times)

Offline katkniep

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8 months and weaning the NF
« on: January 01, 2017, 13:50:11 pm »
I've forgotten the way to wean a NF since my DD1, and how to know it's right?

My DS2 is 8.5 months, he still has a DF although he drinks maybe 90-120ml then.

He wakes between 2am-3.30am every night, sometimes he wakes more for a bottle or to go on the breast (still BF at bed time). He generally drinks it up but i notice at lots of other wakings he takes about 30ml so i'm guessing that's not hunger but i've been still offering a bottle.

He's been sick for a really long time now with blocked nose and cough, so he's been needing lots of extra attention at night.

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 8 months and weaning the NF
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 18:47:33 pm »
Was just about to write an almost identical post so hopefully you don't mind me adding/chiming in/following.

My DS nearly 9mo is still waking once around 3.30am, have reduced feed to around 60ml of formula.   (No dream feed though).  Should I just go cold turkey? Let him self settle?  Or do some kind of pick up/put down or whatever?
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline katkniep

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 19:54:23 pm »
No worries :) I think with my first i removed 30ml every 3 days and made the feeds 15 mins earlier, but i can't remember if that was it... it worked without problems with DD1 i remember that though... i wish i wrote down what i did!!

I'm not a believer in babies being able to teach babies to self settle and wouldn't use pu/pd after reading this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=middlemiss+asynchrony and https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2014/06/30/self-settling-what-really-happens-when-you-teach-a-baby-to-self-soothe-to-sleep/.

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 21:16:51 pm »
When I say self settling I mean just leaving him.  He's not upset but just grumbling a little bit.  I don't believe in cry it out.  He has been able to get to sleep by himself as we have been using Traceys methods since a few weeks old.   Cheers.
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.