Author Topic: Help! 14 week old Pacifier Prop  (Read 1340 times)

Offline hynygirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:24:14 am »
Hello!
We are on baby #2 and implemented BW right from the start - we started with our now 3 yo when she was about 3 months old and she is an amazing sleeper!!
Anyway, our now 14 week old is definitely dependant on her soother for sleep as it was misused while adjusting to having the two girls.  For the past couple weeks waking during naps and night sleep has gotten worse and over the last few nights I have been re-inserting the soother every 20-40 mins.  I'm exhausted to say the least.  We had the same issue with our older daughter and at just over 4 months opted to discontinue using it.  I'm tempted to do the same however I realize there is a SIDS concern prior to 6 months so I'm torn.  I did go without today for naps and bedtime and used shush pat to settle her.  I can see she is sucking on her tongue and settled into sleep alright for the most part.  I'd like some advise on those who may have discontinued the soother around this age or due to being a prop... 
I'm also concerned about the shush pat becoming a prop!  As soon as I roll her onto her side she settles as if she knows whats coming and quiets easily.  Any advice on how to properly do this would be helpful as well! Today she fussed as soon as I laid her down so I felt the need to shush pat.. but should I let her fuss a little and only shush pat if she really gets upset?
Thank you for any and all advice!

**I should add that she would wake 40mins - 1 hour into a nap and need her soother and would nod off again but sometimes we'd be in and out to re-insert the soother.  Naps could be stretched to 1.5-2 hours but as I mentioned we are in and out.  Today without the soother she napped 1.5 - 2 hrs straight.
At night she has never gone more then 3 hours. We do bedtime/bottle between 7-7:30pm and I dream feed about 10:30 but there are times she will wake before I have a chance to dream feed. The last couple nights she has been very unsettled and waking for her soother often before 10pm.  She will then wake around 1:30 - 2:30 and will take a full bottle and wake again between 4:30-5.  The later waking I can give her soother and she'll sleep till 6-7 but sometimes she will want to eat.
I hope that all makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 17:07:19 pm by hynygirl »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help! 14 week old Pacifier Prop
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:16 am »
Hi, just bumping I'm afraid as no experience with using a soother here - hopefully someone will be along soon with advice :)

There is a similar thread here: Pacifier prop? which may be of some help in the mean time x
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:32:24 am by jessmum46 »