Author Topic: Short Naps and Multiple Nighttime Wakes at 10 weeks  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Augustdays88

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Short Naps and Multiple Nighttime Wakes at 10 weeks
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:18:35 am »
My LO is going to be 10 weeks tomorrow. Lately he hasn't been napping and his nighttime sleep is suffering too. I think being away from home for the holidays is what caused this change. Our schedule used to be something like this:

E - 7:00am
A - 7:15am
S - 8:15am  (he wakes at 30/45 minute intervals where I use pat/shh for each nap)

E - 10:15am
A - 10:30am
S - 11:30am

E - 1:30pm
A - 1:45pm
S - 2:45pm

E - 4:45pm
A - 5:00pm
S - 6:00pm

E - 8:00pm
A - 8:15pm (this includes bath and bedtime routine)
S - 9:15pm (asleep for 3-4 hours, then wakes and feeds every 2 hours until 4am witching hour. Then he wakes every hour until 7am)

After the holidays his naps have only been 45 minutes to 20 minutes in length. The shh/pat hasn't been working. And this completely throws off his routine as as I only BF and can't do that every 45 minutes or so. Sometimes he'll only sleep if I pick him up, which I don't want to do as I'm sure that will start a bad habit.

After this crazy daytime, he only sleeps for 2 hours at a time all night long until the 4am witching hour. After 4am he wakes every hour or refuses to go to sleep at all.

What's going on here?? And how do I get him back on track?

Offline Augustdays88

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Short Naps and Multiple Nighttime Wakes at 10 weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 14:40:21 pm »
Would like any advice, desperate over here! Thanks in advance!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 15:32:36 pm »
Hi hun, sorry your post was missed. With the holidays things get a little crazy for the mods. :) Ok, so a few things. A time is from eyes open to eyes shut so it looks like you are trying A times of about an hr 15min. It seems about right but if he was previously napping well at that A time and then his naps got shorter it may mean he needs a push in A time and he's ending up OT through out the day. What can happen is they get a good 4hr stretch in the beginning of the night because they zonk out but then are up through out the night due to not being able to self-settle and the OT.

Has he ever gone to sleep independently? How does he currently go to sleep? Could there be any reflux involved? Sounds like the waking every hour after a while at night could be reflux or gas?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Augustdays88

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:12:14 am »
Thank you for your reply! And no worries, we've been winging it.

He hasn't ever gone to sleep independently. He does start falling asleep sometimes as soon as I begin to swaddle. Does that count?
I used to nurse him to sleep, but at the moment I give him a bottle, burp, give gas drops, and then lay him down. Most of the times his eyes are still open, but sleepy.

He does have reflux and we give him medicine 3 times a day for that with the last dose being right before bed time. It could be reflux or gas. I do hear him tooting sometimes throughout the night.

I have also found that he is not an efficient eater when I nurse. So he'd wake up hungry multiple times at night if I nurse at night time. Since I've switched to bottle feeding before bed and during night time feeds, he's been steadily improving his night time sleeps. The past 2 nights have been like this:
Bedtime - 7pm
Feed - 11pm and 3am
Wake and Feed - 7am

He was definitely overtired. The 7am-9pm schedule I was doing before was a very long day! I've also switched to this schedule that was suggested by my sister:
E - 7am
A - 7:15am
S -8:15am

E - 10am
A - 10:15am
S -11:15am

E - 1pm
A - 1:15pm
S -2:15pm

E - 4pm
A - 4:15pm
S -5:15pm

6pm - bath time routine
7pm - Nurse and bed time

Is that pushing the A time, like you suggested? Because sometimes now he wakes up during his daytime naps and will only get 45/hour long nap.
Hopefully, he continues this good night time routine of waking only 2 times at night. If it does, does that mean he will be ready to move to a crib? How can I help him learn to self-settle?