Author Topic: 14 mo night wakenings - I have no idea why!?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline RosieC14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 mo night wakenings - I have no idea why!?
« on: January 04, 2017, 17:56:04 pm »
Hello, please help!

My 14 mo LG is still not sleeping through. She has done it the past, maybe 4 times in her entire life and I can't put my finger on why!!

We have done EASY from 4 weeks old. Her nap time is regular and consistent (12pm for 2-3 hours) and she eats well. She was breastfed until 13 mo however no longer. Night feeds stopped around 12 mo.

Bedtime is 7 30pm - me or her dad lay her down to sleep and she falls off on her own. Although we do stay with her while she falls.

So now on to the night wakening! This is usually just once but can be anything from 15 minutues to 120 minutes! She doesn't ask to be picked up (we have done PUPD in the past so she knows the drill) and we don't pick her up. One of us just goes in and has to sit by her cot until she falls asleep again.

Is she napping for too long in the day? Do we somehow need to get her to fall asleep without being there? And if so, it's that letting her cry it out?

Please help!! Thank you x

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 14 mo night wakenings - I have no idea why!?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 20:40:07 pm »
Hi there!

I think her daytime routine sounds great and v typical her her age.

I think your NWs are because she is reliant on you being in her room to fall asleep at BT so she expects you there when she wakes in the night and calls you back.  All LOs (& children and adults too) wake in the night between sleep cycles. The issue isn't waking it's going back to sleep and a LO who is used to a parent there at BT will want you back at night to resettle her.

I'd suggest encouraging her to fall asleep by herself without you in the room. Either with gradual withdrawal or Walk in/walk out. Here's a link. Have a read and come  back if you want to chat through or have some support while you're sleep training: Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD