Author Topic: Always UT 2y/o?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Anika920

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM to a precious baby boy SAHM
Always UT 2y/o?
« on: January 06, 2017, 18:21:17 pm »
I have a very spirited almost 2 year old. WHose sleep is still all over the place. His sleep ranges from 11h-13h in a 24 hour period so I believe he is getting adequate sleep. However he almost always takes 30-75 minutes to fall asleep at nap and same with bedtime. With bedtime being about an hour on average. I never wake him because I have spent so much time trying to get him to sleep. Sometimes he'll have a 30 minute nap and other times 2h. He has even completely skipped naps in the past. It seems no matter if I try to stay consistent or flexible he's still all over the place with wake times and sleep needs. He does have some sensory issues.

wakes between 7-8am
nap (in crib) between 12:30-1:15p asleep by 12:45-2p
BT: 8:15 asleep after 9 lately 9:30

I'm confused if they are susceptible to being OT and having a hard time falling asleep or not falling asleep at all or if he's really just UT.

Yesterday he started stirring around 7:20a  I put him down at 12:45p and didn't crash until 1:50p
Typically he's pretty active for his nap and plays around a lot. At night he will mostly just lay there for an hour+ until he falls asleep.

Edited: I had to help him connect sleep cycles again when we switched to 1 nap. He would wake after 30 mins crying and sometimes wouldn't go back down. He still transitions at times. I'm pretty much at a loss as to why his sleep has nearly always been difficult and off.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 18:35:24 pm by Anika920 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Always UT 2y/o?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:32:29 am »
There are a couple of things happen at 2yo - one is that many LOs go through some sleep disturbance over their birthday period (and half birthdays too) so it is a common time for being confused over sleep needs and sleep disturbance.  The other is that some LOs drop the nap at 24 months whilst others keep on with the nap until they are 3yo+.  Either of these things, or both, can be effecting your DS's sleep.
It's very common for LOs to need help with the 2-1 nap drop so I wouldn't read much into that - it doesn't mean he has trouble with sleep it's just a tricky phase, I had to help mine every 20 mins during the drop to one nap even though he had previously done a predictable 2hr nap no problems for a long time.
You also said his sleep has always been difficult, so perhaps it is just his nature to like a long time laying quietly thinking about his day at BT before drifting off - if he is laying quietly then I wouldn't worry about it.  The reluctance to nap I would focus on more and see if you can get that more consistent.

Do you see any links in the activity prior to naps times when he will fall to sleep more easily or has more difficulty?  For instance a link between having had more social interaction at a mum and toddler group leading to it being harder/easier to nap or perhaps more physical activity leading to it being harder/easier to nap?  This can be key for some LOs this age.
I would continue to keep records of your EAS times but also jot down what you did each day - if you have regular groups you attend etc and see if a pattern develops.

I would make nap time a very predictable time, set it at the same time every day regardless of what time he woke in the morning.  So, lets say you pick 12.45pm and stick there.  Then do not let him sleep beyond a 2hr period, so regardless of what time he fell asleep for the nap I would get him up by 2.45pm even if that means he only fell asleep at 2pm he gets up at 2.45pm.
I would maintain bed at 8.15 if that seems to be working relatively well, laying awake is fine if he is not fussing or complaining and it looks like his night length is reasonably good.

If you can bring this level of consistency into his nap (the put down time and get up time) he still has flexibility to take more sleep if he needs it or less sleep if he doesn't, he can regulate his sleep needs within the predictability of the routine.  It could take a couple of weeks or more to settle into it - and as I said around 24months sleep can go off track anyway so it can take longer to see the long term results due to the developmental phase.

What do you think?

Offline Anika920

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM to a precious baby boy SAHM
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 18:57:04 pm »
Hi! Thank you for your response. Sorry I have been busy with birthday and family in town.

It is possible that he just needs a lot of time before he falls asleep. I typically don't fall asleep very quickly myself. I just figured he would have some predictability more about wake time and falling asleep around the same time by now. The only thing that appears predictable is that it takes him about an hour to fall asleep in general.

Today I think DH leaving woke him at 7am, he woke crying. He fell asleep at 945p last night
in crib at 12:45p for nap thought he was settling in around 1. then he pooped at 1:30. Possibly finally asleep at 1:50p.

What are your thoughts on waking him at 245p/ or after 2h in crib? The only issue I have with waking him is that I feel like I am always trying to get him to sleep, so waking him just seems so counter intuitive. I guess I just don't understand how waking him up from his nap makes his nap consistent. Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:32:48 am »
What are your thoughts on waking him at 245p/ or after 2h in crib? The only issue I have with waking him is that I feel like I am always trying to get him to sleep, so waking him just seems so counter intuitive. I guess I just don't understand how waking him up from his nap makes his nap consistent. Thanks!
The consistency helps in that if LO only wants to sleep for 1hr it's okay, you can just get him up and get on with the day, if however another day he wants to sleep the 2hrs that's also ok.  Either way BT remains set so he has predictability there.  As some LOs drop the nap at this age or over the coming months it just means if he is less tired he sleeps a shorter nap and if he is more tired he sleeps a longer nap. I wouldn't let him sleep more than 2hrs in the day though so that you can keep BT set otherwise too much day sleep can impact on BT and night sleep.

Did you consider the physical activity level? It can be quite important for toddlers.