Author Topic: 3.5 year old going to bed later and later  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
3.5 year old going to bed later and later
« on: January 09, 2017, 01:32:37 am »
My 3.5 lo has been going to sleep by 730 forever. Most recently he's taking s long time to fall asleep so we tried pushing it a bit later but it just makes the time he falls asleep later. Tonight he's still awake in bed at 830 which is late for him and our house. I was hoping to keep bedtime the same even if that means along earlier in the morning but as most of you know going to bed later usually leads to an even earlier morning wake here. Help how do I get him back on track? The other day he actually fell asleep in the car at 4 pm and he hadn't fallen asleep or napped once in over a year!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 3.5 year old going to bed later and later
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 22:05:56 pm »
Could it be half birthday developmental stuff messing with his sleep? Might just be a case of keeping BT consistent & waiting it out.

One thing we do if DS (3yr9mo) is saying he is not tired at BT, is we give him some stories to look at by himself. Then say we'll go back to check on him. We find that he often looks at 1 or 2 books then puts himself to sleep before we're back in!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »
Our bedtime routine started around 645/7 with bath books pjs etc and asleep by 730. Hrs not falling asleep until almost 9 some nights. I've tried going up for bath later which just leads to an even later bedtime. I have to wake him most mornings for school as he's still asleep at 8am! And he's tired. How do I get back to old routine? Maybe he needs a longer day which is fine but he's not waking earlier which makes me think no.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »
We tried going up at 7 for bath etc and he still wasn't asleep until 830! How can I get him back to his earlier bedtime? Should I try waking him earlier in the morning ?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 19:58:01 pm »
I'd say if he's up at 8am then a 8.30pm BT isn't unreasonable at this age. If you want an earlier BT you may need a 7am WU. My DS1 never ever did more than 11 hour night at that age with no nap x
Zoe

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 21:06:19 pm »
If hes sleeping on and needing wakened and you'd prefer the earlier night then yes I'd wake him at a set time.  If you wake him At 7am then I'd say 8pm is a reasonable bedtime. So bed time routine at 7.30 to be asleep for 8?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 11:50:18 am »
Is this something that takes time ? I've been waking him at 7 but bedtime is still late. He's not fallling asleep until 845!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 02:39:36 am »
He's still falling asleep at the same time at night no matter when I wake him in the morning. And he gets all wild and restless at bedtime. It's almost 9 pm when he falls asleep.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:24 am »
Yes I'd say it will take a week or so to even out. 

What are you doing at bed? Are you able to leave him to sort himself out and get to sleep or is he needing help?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 17:19:28 pm »
Same routine as always. Up for a bath around 7 (used to be 645) pjs me and dad both sit in his room and read and then dad leaves and I stay to sing or just chat quietly about our day. Lately we can't even read becaUse he's all wound up babbling and rolling around all delirious almost. Then when I leave the room he has his light on low because most recently he's afraid of the dark. Then he might come to the stairs call us etc. or he might just stay in his room but standing on the bed or kicking the headboard sometimes for an hour! He used to go to sleep pretty easily at 730/8 and sleep through fine until about 7/730

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 19:16:49 pm »
How've things been?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:48:04 am »
Thanks for checking in :) it's hit or miss one night he fell asleep by 730 the next two 845! Some nights he's clearly overtired others I can't tell. Maybe it's developmental? I know he's mentioned he's scared. We leave a light on and if we shut it during the night he just wake and put it back on. I haven't been waking him as he's usually up by 7/730 and I think I was waking him giving him even less sleep when the difficult night time might have been ot. It's tricky at this age. I just hope we get back on track.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 18:58:35 pm »
I'd say a good lot of sleep disturbances is developmental at this age, the darkness becomes more scary, shadows play on their imaginations. We had lots of leaving the door open, hall light on and eventually agreed on a new red light for his room that stays on all night to shine at the curtains as he wAs scared of the shadows in the curtains.

It did pass but took a while I must say, and we had a reward chart for going to bed nicely and not shouting or messing about and that worked as he liked to collect his stars in the morning x

Zoe