Author Topic: 5 month old not napping during day and waking up every hour at night, need help!  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Ninjacat16

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi I hope I can get some help and advice. My daughter is 5 months and has always been a terrible day napper, will fall asleep after nursing but as soon as put her in her cot wakes up and really difficult to get to sleep even with rocking, bouncing and sssshhhhing. Only time she falls asleep easily is in the car or in the pram but even so this can take a while sometimes. She is now so over tired that it is affecting her nighttime sleep, I have tried to set a routine but the day time goes out the window when I spend 2 hours or more just trying to get her to have 1 nap which if does happen only lasts a maximum of half an hour, normally less.
For the last week she falls asleep after nursing around 8pm but will only sleep for a maximum of 3 hours (sometimes it's only 2 hours) then I have to feed her again and she only sleeps for an hour and then it can take me upto 2 hours to get her back to sleep again for an hour or less of sleep. I'm at my wits end now and severely sleep deprived my self now and struggling to function with normal day time duties! Desperate for any advice that can help me solve my babies sleep issues. TIA

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Hi there!

I wonder whether it would help her yo learn to fall asleep herself do she is not depending on you to get her to sleep and get her back to sleep when she wakes for sleep cycle transitions.

Your options at 5mo are sh-pat or PU/PD.  Have a read of these links and come back if you want to talk anything through:
Shush-pat - How to
Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!

Getting an A time that suits your LO can also help get naps ore easily.  They increase rapidly from 4-6mo but this gives a rough guide of what to aim for: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD