Author Topic: Baby cries as soon as being swaddled  (Read 7914 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby cries as soon as being swaddled
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 18:45:13 pm »
I had to give him some ibuprofen to relieve some of the pain he has from his immunizations
Sleep always went off track with vaccinations here - either more sleepy when I wasn't expecting or not sleepy at the right time.
There are so many thing which come along to disrupt routine aren't there!?

Offline leesa001

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:47 am »
We are on a 4 hour easy now for the last 9 days. 
LOs naps are not too bad.  He is waking at the 30m mark and still needs help with the transition, but I can extend his sleep usually to 2 hours.
My issue still is the nights.  I am wondering if he is sleeping too much during the day..  even with the 2hr, 2hr, CN

He never sleeps longer then 2h50m at night, and he doesn't always wake hungry,  I will usually shush pat him to sleep, but some nights like tonight he is just awake .  And I've tried shush pat him for 30m only for him to rouse up again.  If I leave him in his bassinet, he will fuss for 2 or 3 hours until the next feeding.  Then if course fall asleep on the breast.

How do I extend his sleep so that he is sleeping longer stretches? He can't be getting a restorative night sleep. 
I feel I am at a standstill with this sleep training, and have to take a next step.  I just don't know what that is.   I feel by this point he should understand how to sleep now. 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 18:56:54 pm »
When he is fussing in the  night is he crying an "I need you" cry?

Offline leesa001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 00:18:44 am »
First it's an I'm  awake cry, so I leave him, and he coos and babbles sucks on his fingers plays with the bassinet for a bit, on and off fussy ing to see if he can settles himself back to sleep and then it turns after about 5-10min into a come and get me cry.  That's when I will come reswaddle, tell him it's time to sleep put him on his side and start the shush pat. 
I will feed him if it's been 3 hours but I am wondering if I should stretch that out to 4hrs .

Last  for instance he was up from 2am to 4am  .  Just awake and alert, not crying out for food.  It wasn't actually until I tried to intervene one hour into  his middle of the night playtime that he began to cry.  And then it took me an hour to put him back to sleep.  I didn't feed him because I had just fed him at 1am.  He finally went to sleep at 4am  and woke at 645.   

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:12 am »
You might be right about getting a bit too much day sleep.  Two 2hr naps and a CN of 45 min might be a bit too much for some LOs and the long NW sounds more on teh UT side rather than OT side.
You can do a couple of things:
- leave it, Tracy said if LO is not calling for you or doing an I need you cry then leave them and that it is normal to have periods of wakefulness in the night, he can learn to go back to sleep on his own.
- reduce the CN down to a shorter CN
- cut the CN totally as two 2hr naps may be enough - usually babies wait until 6 months to drop to 2 naps but 2 long naps of 2hr (4hr total) is more sleep than 2 naps of 1.5hr plus a CN (3hr 45 total) which is what many do.

Offline leesa001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 23:01:03 pm »
Well I have spent the last few weeks trying to test what the issue is with my LOs sleep.
He is almost 5.5 months already (where has the time gone), and he still will not sleep longer then 3 hr stretches, and still only averages 2.5 hours.
He is also getting over an illness, which messed up our training, as he was up frequently to nurse.

As of today
His first nap of the day is usually 2 hours, his 2nd nap is usually 1.5 hours, and his last nap is never longer then 30m
I've tried to shorten his morning nap as well for a week, and it makes no difference.
The thing is if I only give him only the 2 naps, he won't last for his bedtime.
He always has a bath at 630, nurses at 7 and will often fall asleep by 8pm.  I am trying to give him an earlier bedtime, but sometimes he fights sleep so much.

With regard to his night wakings I've tried to let him try to fall asleep on his own, but he just won't.  It usually begins ok with him playing with his feet (so cute), but then he will start to get more fussy, and begin crying for me to help him sleep.   I still have to shush pat, but lately this is becoming more difficult as he now prefers to have his arms out of the swaddle. 
I am wondering if I should try to feed him formula before bed in hopes that he will be more satisfied and sleep longer?  I hear its a myth.
LO hasn't started solids yet, and will not until he is 6 months.

I wish he would sleep longer stretches by now. 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 13:29:00 pm »
I am wondering if I should try to feed him formula before bed in hopes that he will be more satisfied and sleep longer?  I hear its a myth.
Many BF babies are doing a longer stretch of night sleep at this age but I'd guess waking every 3hrs for food can also be normal too. A long stretch is about 5 hrs which is classed as sleeping through the night believe it or not.
I see fewer night feeds and longer stretches of sleep with formula fed babies on the boards but honestly I wouldn't suggest trying formula before BT without giving it serious thought. Your body is designed to increase your milk supply over night. I don't claim to know much about BF as I had a disastrous attempt but I would suggest getting further support with this before making any decision - you wouldn't want your supply to drop.

Usually introducing solids doesn't help extend sleep, often people think it will.

Would you like to post on the BF board to discuss your thoughts and issues with night feeds?
Breast Feeding

Your naps look GREAT by the way!  Wish we'd had those naps at that age :)