Author Topic: 3 year old EW. Need advice asap  (Read 1380 times)

Offline ladyboz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:56:09 am »
I never thought I'd be back here. But here I am needing help with EW for my 3 year old. Bedtime is at 7:30 with being in bed no later than 8pm. But she never falls asleep right away. Sometimes not falling asleep till 9. She is good about staying in bed, she just tosses and turns etc  (we have a nightcam). Then she'll wake around 2 for potty and go to sleep. Well lately she's been waking at 5:45-6am and refuses to go back to sleep. The problem manifests as she walks to our room. We always walk her back but it's exhausting. Then I deal with meltdowns by 10am because she's so cranky. It's like she fights going back to sleep. So stubborn! She still does take naps. I don't let her sleep past 3:30. Even on good days where she wakes at 7 (to us that's sleeping in for her!) She needs her afternoon nap or she can't handle the rest of the afternoon/evening because of meltdowns and overall crankiness. I have a 12 month old who sleeps wonderful and we'll be moving them in the same room soon. But with my 4 year olds EW I am dreading it and need to adjust/ fix it asap. I stay home with both my dd's. Nothing has changed as far as stressors. Help!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 3 year old EW. Need advice asap
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 13:35:01 pm »
I'm guessing the nap is the issue and is stealing from her nights....what time and for how long does she nap?  Is she 3 or closer to 4 (sorry not sure from your post)....the older she is the more likely I would say the nap is the culprit...

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 19:11:35 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply. Sorry about the age confusion. She'll be 4 in April. I think the nap might be playing an issue as well. Ive just been holding onto it as by the time 5pm or 6pm rolls around her happy demeanor turns sour and its horrid attitude coupled with meltdowns over the silliest things. If it is the nap and I need to cut it, how do I handle the rest of the day? The other day she missed a nap and we ended up leaving a family gathering because of meltdowns. Im so torn on what to do and how to do it.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 20:22:33 pm »
This link has some useful tips re dropping the nap: The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.

What time and how long does she nap at the moment?

A lot of LOs need an early BT when they start having no nap days and most will do a longer night to compensate.

I remember posting about how my DS was tired all the time not long before he stopped napping. It seemed like he needed the nap because of the tiredness but the nap was actually eating into his night sleep (which is more restorative). When he stopped taking the nap, he started doing longer nights and was much brighter and happier during the  day too.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 19:54:31 pm »
Thank you for that link. I read it and it does sound like we need to drop it. She has been fighting naps some daysort, but others she'll fall right asleep. Right now I lay her down at 1:30. Sometimes she'll fall asleep and sleep tI'll 3:30 (I wake her). Other days she doesn't sleep at all which makes the end of the day drag because of the metdowns. She'll say she's tired too. I miight take the suggestion and do quiet time in her room with an early bedtime and see how that works. :)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 21:46:31 pm »
Good luck
Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD