Author Topic: 5mo can't handle much awake time  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Bera

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 16, 2017, 15:03:25 pm »
My son is nearly 5mo and we've been doing EASY for a few weeks. He is EBF and we also started sleep training 12 days ago - PUPD in combination with Shush/pat (but only for bedtime and some NW, not for naps)

The issue is that he can't seem to handle more than 1.5/max 1.75hours of awake time between naps, I have tried 2/2.25 hours and he ends up having a short nap and needing re-settling after 30 mins or just not settling back to sleep. With shorter WT, he tends to sleep longer (avg 1.5 hours)

I settle him with some rocking and he usually falls asleep within 5 mins of this if I put him down after 1.5hours. I'm planning to tackle the naps this/next week with PUPD/SP when my husband is around to help/support.

So what should I do? Just let him carry on as he is? Try and push out the A time more?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5mo can't handle much awake time
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 19:46:50 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

If he is sleeping 1.5hrs without assistance (ie after wind down you put him down he falls to sleep and sleeps the full nap without further help) after a shorter A time then I would continue with the shorter A time until it doesn't work any more.  You might need to cap a nap if it starts getting too late for BT but if you've already been running this day time routine then you will have already resolved that.

Weaning from the rocking and replacing with shush/pat or doing a little rocking in the cot with a firm hand will help to sleep train for naps. Try to work towards having hands off before he goes to sleep and when he can do that you work on leaving the room before he goes to sleep.

If/when you do feel the A time needs to extend just extend by 15 mins for a couple of days and then a further 15 mins if needed rather than making a big jump.  The smaller increases in A time give Lo a chance to get used to the longer time without getting too OT.
Signs LO is ready for a longer A time can be short UT (under tired) naps of 40 min or resistance being put down at nap time.

hope this helps

Offline Bera

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:09 am »
@creations
Thanks, that was really helpful. Yes he does stay asleep without assistance the majority of the time, I don't know if it's coincidence but since we started the sleep training at night time, he's easier to settle during the day and seems to link his sleep cycles better (he was a chronic 45 minute baller for 2 months!!) now I just need to be brave and start SP at nap time - I'm dreading it!

I will carry on as we are until he shows signs of needing to extend A time (as you mentioned)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5mo can't handle much awake time
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 19:50:39 pm »
Why are you dreading sleep training for naps?
It looked to me like you were doign a bit of rocking then he was settling for his nap well, within 5 mins - I had assume in a cot as you said "put him down" am I wrong?  Is he napping in arms just now? with props??