Author Topic: What to use for sore nipples?  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: January 01, 2017, 14:49:04 pm »
We started our breast feeding journey with DS2. It going fine I guess as latch is less and less an issue, he feeds well, gain weight, and eats quickly and ton. Midwife checked the latch in the hospital and she said it is a good one and Alex eats beautifully.

My questions:
- my nipples are sore - not all the time only during first sucks, than we continue fine; I used lanolin and it seems to help and found something called Maltan in Poland (Aqua, Glucose, Paraffinum Liquidum, Petrolatum, Paraffin Wax, Glyceryl Oleate, Propylene Glycol). Starting to try.
- DS2 is now 5 days old and I feel extremely engorged; how to help myself? I know it's normal but we feed every 3-4h from both sides if he wants; latching more often means waking him and this is a nightmare; I still feed at the same moment as I cannot wake him; if he wakes by himself - he is very eager to eat; as we gain weight very well so I won't push more frequent feedings. 7 feeds per day might not be enough to establish BF but after DS1 it worked for us, especially that most of not all feeds are both-sided. So if not latching a baby what helps for engorged breast?
- I help DS2 to latch by "sandwiching" the nipple, that's what the midwife recommended. When does it stop? Will I naturally stop with it? I don't remember that from the old times.

Thank you so much for your help:)!
~Marta

Offline -Maya-

• Showing Appreciation 10
Re: What to use for sore nipples?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 17:27:43 pm »
Hello Marta, I am happy that Alex is gaining weight! Seems a good eater that is always a good thing.

For sore nipples, here they recommend Tocopheril Acetate based products. There is one here that is 100% tocopheril acetate but after a quick check I think it so an italian product only. I was told it can be eaten by babies also, so just put on nipples and go on.
Afaik, tocopheril acetate helps skin to recover quickly. HTH

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 22:02:42 pm »
You can try some cold compresses (or warm compresses - different things work for different people) for the engorgement.  If it's terrible, you can express a tiny bit, but don't express too much since expressing just tells your body to make more...which is what you're trying to avoid right now!

I found with all of mine that they needed less and less help with the latch as they got older.  So, while I did have to direct both their heads and my nipples in the beginning, they were eventually able to manage it all on their own. 

Sounds like you're off to a great start!  :)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 13:54:32 pm »
Congratulations on your new baby!

I remember the nipple pain at initial latch. I think it's just nips toughening up, especially if it improves as feed progresses. I used lansinoh but it did improve by itself after a week or 2.

I was also v full in early days with DD. Midwife advised not to express if you can help it but to wait it out and use compressses or warm baths/showers for pain relief. She also said I could take paracetamol for it but check that with your Mw/dr.

I needed to "sandwich" for DS. I think he got the hang of it himself after a month or so.  With DD I used "biological nuturing" where I lay her on her tummy, on my chest, head close to my boob and she could root and find the boob herself. 
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 14:11:38 pm »
I found that swinging my arms round in circles helped a lot with engorgement, or put one hand on your shoulder and "draw" circles in the air with the elbow.  Sounds crazy but it worked!  It passed after a couple of days IIRC but it's a pain when it's there.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 16:58:58 pm »
The best thing for engorgement is to wait it out.  Removing any milk will worsen the issue so don't do if unless you really can't bear it.

I hope it passes quickly for you. LO will probably wake up more soon too.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 18:54:30 pm »
Thanks for advice, the engorgement passed already however sore nipples stay... one has some bleeding points and it made DS2 spit ups pink and with blood. Hopefully it will heal quickly.
~Marta

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 02:08:59 am »
Be super vigilant about your latch and it should help with the soreness and bleeding. 

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 07:20:59 am »
Hi there,
just to cut in, because we're from the same country;p I used "Maltan" cream and it worked great for us. It sometimes took 1 feeding for my other nipple to heal :) It's safe for the baby too, and you don't have to wash it off. I don't know why, but it's cheaper if you buy a bigger tube.

Offline leesa001

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 16:12:29 pm »
Dr jack newman all purpose nipple cream  .   It has to be made at a compounding pharmacy by prescription only,   my nippke were sore and cracking and bleeding.  And it worked wonders