Author Topic: Help 19 month will not sleep through the night  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Amyj

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help 19 month will not sleep through the night
« on: January 26, 2017, 20:37:55 pm »
Am new to this, so not sure what info is need, but here goes....my lg used to sleep 4 - 5 hours at a time until she was 6 months, now her sleeping has gone from bad to worse.  During the day she has no problem falling asleep with my husband on our bed,  she goes down like clockwork at 10:30am and sleeps for almost 2 hours.  At night falls asleep between 19;30 and 20:00, but she wakes up every 45min - hour, and is very restless when I try and rock her back to sleep.  It takes me almost 30 minutes before she settles and I can put her back in her cot.  So I am not getting much sleep at all.   I stopped giving her formula at night and give her water instead, I have tried pick up and put down method etc..  Nothing seems to be working.

We have a one bedroom house, so she sleeps in our room and and my husband is ill, he hardly sleeps and needs his rest so I try to keep her a quiet as possible. I have another one coming in August so I need her to sleep through the night.  Can anyone please give me some advice, I am desperate right now.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Help 19 month will not sleep through the night
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 21:38:50 pm »
Hi there, sounds exhausting.

I would guess that she doesn't know how to sleep independently if she's falling asleep with your husband and being rocked back to sleep in the night she will need to learn this skill so that when she wakes she not wondering where you have gone.

The nap at 10.30 am is quite early for her age so you may need to work on pushing that later in the day.

I would start with moving her nap to 11am with the aim of getting it to midday, the regular wake ups could be from OT with her going a long time from that morning nap to BT.

With regards to her learning to get to sleep alone have a look at these links and see which method you think would work best for you and her Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
xx
Zoe