Author Topic: Sleeps 14 hours over night... anyone else out there?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline LCWalton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleeps 14 hours over night... anyone else out there?
« on: February 02, 2017, 00:56:23 am »
Hey All,

I didn't know what to title my post but here is my issue: my daughter sleeps 13 to 14 hours over night. She has been on EASY since day 1 and does great. Bed time is 530/6 with a dream feed at 10.

Issue is - I can't seem to stop myself going in at 4 or 5 am and waking her up to change her diaper. I will also give her a 4 Oz bottle during this time. I just don't know what to do about he diapers - they only hold 12 hours of waste. Am I crazy? Do I just let her sleep in a soaking diaper until 6 or 630 am and see if that's when she starts waking up for the day? I can't keep going in and changing her/feeding her at 5 as I go back to work in 8 weeks so then waking up at 6/630 is fine.

Should I cut out the dream feed first and see if she wakes up on her own once in the middle of the night or start by refusing to change her (it's almost always me who wakes up; rarely her) and see if she shifts her wake up time? Ugh. Lol I'd love to hear from anyone.

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Sleeps 14 hours over night... anyone else out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:29:12 am »
Hi! My DD2 slept really long nights, with a NF, always at least 13 hours. What I found worked for her diaper was use a night diaper and double it up with a second diaper put on backwards if you see what I mean! Otherwisenit would always leak from the front!

To this day she is a sleeper and I have to wake her in the morning to go to work on time. If it were menI would not wake her during the night to change her diaper.

How old is she?
Elise

Offline LCWalton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 03:09:13 am »
Thanks ENMS.  I've got her in over night diapers that are 1 size up but she sleeps on her tummy the entire time and even that has stopped working. I will try to double diapers.

She is 10 months old but was 8 weeks premie so corrected age is 8 months. She eats solids well too so I figure it is time to end the dream feeds.

How did you find shifting to going to work with the EASY schedule? I need to have her fed breakfast and at daycare for 750 am so I haven't been feeding her a morning bottle (5 am bottle not being counted there) because she usually eats breakfast after being awake for half an hour.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:17:24 am »
Yes, DD2 is a tummy sleeper too, so I would first put on the over night diaper, and then put on an extra regular diaper on backwards, so that it would cover when the diaper would leak from the top in the front - not sure if I am explaining well.

we never did the dream feed so I'm not sure to be honest but I think I've seen an FAQ on this.

I was lucky to have a long maternity leave, she is my 3rd and last baby so I took an extra summer off, so by the time she started, she was STTN and on one nap so it went really well. I wake her as late as I can, and then give her a quick breakfast and sometimes milk but not always (she's 20 months old now), and then she gets a snack at 9AM at daycare.
Elise

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:29:04 am »
Can you change the diaper at DF? Being honest my experience is that if the diaper leaks it's often because they drink too much at night at that age so I would be tempted to stop feeding her as much as you are:).
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:50:24 pm »
She is 10 months old but was 8 weeks premie so corrected age is 8 months. She eats solids well too so I figure it is time to end the dream feeds.
It is probably a good time to drop the DF. I would reduce over a number of nights to do it gradually.

FWIW I've heard of lots of LOs being double diapered overnight.
I used to change my DS (in cloth) at the DF time until we dropped the DF. But he didn't sleep as long over night as your LO. I am quite jealous of that long night!!