Author Topic: 17m Night Waking - How To Retrain to Put 17m Back to Sleep on her Own?  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Mjh045000

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Our 17 month old has been having a variety of sleep issues the past few months from having difficulty going to sleep on her own to waking up habitually at 5AM.  We have been able to solve every issue through the book or posts on this forum.  Now...we have a new problem we've been unable to solve from the book. 

Our daughter will go to sleep on her own about 6:30/6:45 at night.  She will sleep soundly but then wake up for anywhere from 20-45 minutes between 9:30PM and 12:30AM.  We have tried many things to get her to go back down: pacifier, put down method, hand on her chest, etc.  This has very much become a nightly occurrence.   We are doing our best to make sure we're only going into her room when she is doing a real cry and standing.  We cannot seem to find anything in the book to help us.  She is up at about 6:00 every morning (this is an improvement from the past few months), takes a 2 hour nap at day care from 12:15-2:15, and then is put to bed around 6:30/6:45PM (which was moved up from 7:00/7:15PM due to a previous sleep issue).  If it is a matter of being overtired, we cannot put her down any earlier at night as we don't get home from work until 5:30 or so. 

How do we retrain our daughter to put herself back to sleep when she wakes up?

Offline Lasm2016

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 17m Night Waking - How To Retrain to Put 17m Back to Sleep on her Own?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 22:22:18 pm »
Hi there

My daughter is a similar age and we've had some issues.  Have you ruled out hunger?  I was tearing my hair out recently with soothers and comforting and nothing was working. Then her nursery carer made a flyaway comment about how she was eating more than normal. So. I doubled her meal portion in the evening and she was immediately back to normal.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:22:49 am »
Hi does she wake crying or happy? Also your heading into 18 month SR so it could just be that x
Zoe

Offline Mjh045000

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:14 am »
Sorry for the delayed response...after I posted this, she stopped having issues.  We had one week of bliss, and now we're back at it!

I don't think it's hunger.  We let her eat until she stops and won't take more.

She is waking crying.  :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:17 am »
Has she got any teeth on the move? At least with one good week you know sis can settle herself, so I'd say it's developmental of teeth playing up x
Zoe