Author Topic: 10 minute feeds / fast let down  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Fisher001

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:41:57 am »
Hi - hoping for some advice. My LO is 4 weeks today and is gaining weight wonderfully. I havequite a fast let down so she is spending 5 mins on the breast and then falling asleep or coming off and getting sprayed in the face or chokes and struggles to latch. I tend to give her a 10 min break by burping her and redressing her to wake her up a bit and usually have a second go for another 3 to 5 mins then she has had enough and won't go back on or suckles herself to sleep. A few questions:
A) the feed times - is that time on the breast or does it include all the burping, breaks and attempting to get back on the breast time?
B) I'm expressing for the dream feed and manage 100ml in 10 mins on one breast. How do i comfortably introduce expressing into my routine without having engorgement issues?
C) her daytime naps are short, I think because of the short time on the breast - how do I prolong this time on the breast?

Advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Helen

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 10 minute feeds / fast let down
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 23:01:04 pm »
Have a look at our FAQ on starting EASY Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!

Your baby is tiny so don't worry too much about times right now.

If you'd like to incorporate pumping into your routine I'd just pick a convenient time of day to do it and do it at that time/point in your routine each day. Your supply will still need a few months to settle completely.

Congratulations on your new born and enjoy those snuggles  ☺
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 10 minute feeds / fast let down
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 23:03:24 pm »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 23:04:58 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fisher001

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:45:14 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Very easy to get a bit paranoid about creating habits that will be difficult to get out of or instead of just relaxing and enjoying my LO. Your links and advice has been most helpful and reassuring. Thank you!!

H