Author Topic: 18 month old sleep regression and naps  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 month old sleep regression and naps
« on: January 29, 2017, 19:20:03 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice again with the sr.
It seems to have calmed down at night (had another post on this) but now it is affecting her naps.
She is almost refusing them!

I had thought I'd just push her nap out a bit to see if that would help but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Last three days have been:

Wu: 6.45
S: 12.45-13.30
Bt: 6.35, sleep 6.40

Wu: 7.15
S: 13.05 - 13.55
Bt: 7.05 asleep instantly

Wu: 7.00
S: 13.15 - 13.55 (cried 30mins with wu/wo before falling asleep, woke crying)
Bt: 6.40 sleep 7pm

As usual I'm wondering now if the nap is too late? She had a set nap of 12.15 and then went to 12.30 to try and help it but it hasn't really and she has been falling asleep 1/1.30 now. Just worried that she is OT and I am pushing the nap out. She is so hard to figure out.

Also wondered if it's the sr, maybe I can't really fix it until the sr passes?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 20:57:03 pm by Mum2lucy »

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 18 month old sleep regression and naps
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 17:59:29 pm »
Today was no better.

Wu: 7.00
S: 13.13 - 14.21 (was put into cot at 1pm and she moaned and cried and threw her dummy until I shhhed her to sleep, she stirred at 35mins and woke at 45mins but ss with dummy and then woke at 14.21 screaming and was upset for a while afterwards, gave her 5mins to see if she would ss but just cried)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 22:03:05 pm »
Hi there, SR are rough are t they.

I'd prob try sticking with your set nap time and wait a week or so to see if things change. If it's SR this will pass shortly and then you can look at routine.
Zoe

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 13:21:00 pm »
Unfortunately I've tried the set nap at home of 12.45 at home (nursery she struggles with sleep so they do whatever whenever to get her to sleep) and it's not worked. She moans, throws dummy, shouts for mummy when I put her into her cot. If I give up and take her a walk she quickly goes to sleep so she must be tired.

Any thoughts to help me?
Thanks

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 13:30:14 pm »
Not sure what to suggest but following as having the same issue with my now 16mo. This week she has started doing all the things DS did at 18mo (independent walking, language explosion) but with it has started refusing her nap on some days (twice this week). I'm thinking it's SR come early due to the developmental stuff.

She's quite happy and chatty about it luckily but just won't sleep.

I'm giving "quiet" time in cot for up to an hour (with WI/WO) if babbling turns into shouting for me but then getting her up if not asleep and doing EBT (6.30 instead of usual 7pm)

I have also noticed that the no nap days tend to be days when she has done less in the morning (I.e. Just done errands or played at home) whereas she tends to nap on days we go to playgroup park or at nursery where she's busier. So I'm going to try busy mornings to wear her out!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 19:38:48 pm »
Oh hugs to to you too!
It's driving me mad as she was sooo good at going into her cot for a sleep. It was 1.5 hours for a while there but it was fine, seemed to do her well but now she just refuses to sleep.
I keep taking her out in the pram to get her a sleep but I worry that she'll always want walked for a sleel.

You mentioned language bursts for your lg and my lgs words are really coming in too so I wonder if it is that and the sr combined.

I don't know whether to push it out further or revert back to 12.30 and see if that helps? I go out very morning I'm not working either to a tots group or to soft play as my lg needs a lot of activity.

Xx

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 14:24:05 pm »
I'm not sure. I have been sticking to normal nap time for consistency but if she refuses trying a shorter mid/late afternoon nap to get to BT.  And if she refuses that- EBT. My DD is a touch younger than yours though so can still sleep an hour mid-afternoon without it affecting her night. You might want to do something shorter or just EBT.

I do think it's linked to emergence of new skills. I have seen other people posting about nap refusal between 16-19 mo but it seems to suddenly go back to normal once the leap has passed.

Hang on in there xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 19:09:01 pm »
Agree with pp it's the age for nap messing then it goes back. I've got pics of DS1 asleep on the sofa mins after spending ages in his cot but as soon as got on my knee fast asleep.
Zoe

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:37:46 am »
It's still not any better as I actually can't even get her to fall asleep in her cot. She is waking really late in the morning for her standards (which is nice) but it doesn't help for the nap timing as she isn't tired if I try and stick to a set nap.

Yesterday was:
Wu: 7.50
Nap: tried cot at 1pm, wandered around her cot for 30 mins shouting on me for most of the time, I went in 3 times to lie her down and say sleep cue. Eventually gave up after 35 mins. Took her in pram and then she was asleep within 1 min so clearly tired
S: 1.35 - 3.05 (woken by me)
Bed: 7.45, sleep 8.20

Wu: 7am this is the shortest night she has done for weeks. Has been doing 12+ hours at night. don't know if sleeping to 3pm helps her night?
I keel a bit lost like I can't get back into a nap schedule 😳