Author Topic: Day 6 of PUPD 9 month old night wakings now more frequent  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Sleepy123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Day 6 of PUPD 9 month old night wakings now more frequent
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:10:27 am »
Hi all
I have started PUPD for all naps and bedtime with my 9 month old LG since last Friday. Previously we were feeding to sleep BF to 7 months then formula fed/rocked to sleep. She has not slept well at night since turning 6 months waking every 2 hrs or less I think now because she cannot self settle.
PUPD seems to be going well as she goes to sleep with little fuss/crying and it hasn't took too long. Looking at the quiz I think in the main she is a 'textbook' baby. Dont have problems with naps, takes 2 good naps a day usually totalling 1hr to 1.5 each. Looking on the video monitor she can stir 2 or 3 times in a daytime nap but seems to self settle.
Usual Daytime Routine as follows;
Up 7am
7.15-7.30 Milk
8.30 breakfast cereal/fruit puree(doesnt always eat everything)
9.15-9.30 Milk and Nap 1hr-1.5 usually
11.30 Milk
12.30pm Lunch/pudding
2pm Milk and Nap 1hr-1.5
3.30 Snack
4.30 Milk
5.30 Dinner/pudding
6.30 Bath
7pm Milk and dinner
6oz Milk feed overnight

Problems arise at night she goes asleep easy but then will wake usually 3/4 times within the next 2 hours. She always seems to wake within 40 minutes although we had a breakthrough last night 1hour 20 mins. However since startimg PUPD she seems to wake every hour now rather than every 2 hours... Am I just expecting too much too soon? As in its got to get worse first to get better? Or can you see something in the routine that could need altering/tweaking? I have tried NW but she seems to still need milk overnight and wont settle. She sleeps next to me in her own bed and most of the time I think she wakes for comfort/cuddle and can be easily settled just wish it wasnt so many times!! She has recently started to try to pull up/ look like she will crawl so thid could be causing the wakings I guess just coincided with tthe same day we started PUPD! Thanks in advance :)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Day 6 of PUPD 9 month old night wakings now more frequent
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:18:01 am »
Hi! Welcome to the forums! We always love having new moms around! Huuuugs!

I'm happy to help and offer some friendly advice and suggestions and hope it's helpful!

First off, maaaany hugs :( ...this sounds quite rough. I want to make something clear here; you said she walks every hour? How long has this been happening?

A few more questions for you too, if that's ok before I move onto her EASY:

Is she exclusively BF? How many established meals/solids does she have during the day? Since the 6 month mark, has she ever slept independently? consistently. Has she ever slept through the night without your help (aside the NF she has)

Sometimes, waking every hour to me can sometimes be pain or discomfort? Teeth? New solids that could be upsetting? ...I've seen many times hourly wakings to be associated with some kind of discomfort. It is very common around this age to see a slight regression. Mobility, as you stated, being one of the common reasons why! So keep that in mind :)

How long has she been waking every hour?

If naps are good I would leave as is... there doesn't seem to be signs of 2-1 just yet so I wouldn't worry.

I would actually push her A times more... you have her napping after about 2-2 1/2 hrs of A time. That's pretty short for her age. Here's a link of average A times to keep on hand :)

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

...and then a pretty long A time for BT. I would try to get her close to 3 hr A time during her days. See how that works. Start with maybe just the morning nap- moving 15 mins fwd for a few days, then another 15 etc.

I would rule out discomfort for sure as well too! Xo
Fabi

Offline Sleepy123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 06:42:58 am »
Hi!

She has only been waking every hour this last week since starting pick up put down... Prior to this she would wake 3/4 times before I went to bed then roughly every 2 hours. I could time my watch by them usually so think there habitual.

She is formula fed now was EBF upto 7 months on demand, I expected the wakings to become less once I stopped BF but they haven't.

Yes her naps seem good and she has done 3hrs total some weeks yesterday, I will try and stretch these out by starting bit earlier.

So yesterday I decided to put her in her own room in her cotbed, been wanting to do it for ages but wanted to get her sleeping better first. Put her in for naps as well, she cried alot more and took longer to get her asleep but it worked. At noght I was up to het every hour or less till until after 2.30am she slept for over 3 hours!!! Hasnt done this for months im so happy! Think I was a disturbing her more than I thought perhaps or PDPU finally kicked in :)

She has never slept independently (till last night) since 6 months and has only slept through the night once before that. She eats 3 good solid meals per day now plus water, isnt so interested in breakfast so I try serveral options she will usually eat something like 1 cereal or fruit puree.

She is teething but doesnt seem to be in too much discomfort no crying/moaning but continually putting stuff/fingers in her mouth more last few weeks.

Hi! Welcome to the forums! We always love having new moms around! Huuuugs!

I'm happy to help and offer some friendly advice and suggestions and hope it's helpful!

First off, maaaany hugs :( ...this sounds quite rough. I want to make something clear here; you said she walks every hour? How long has this been happening?

A few more questions for you too, if that's ok before I move onto her EASY:

Is she exclusively BF? How many established meals/solids does she have during the day? Since the 6 month mark, has she ever slept independently? consistently. Has she ever slept through the night without your help (aside the NF she has)

Sometimes, waking every hour to me can sometimes be pain or discomfort? Teeth? New solids that could be upsetting? ...I've seen many times hourly wakings to be associated with some kind of discomfort. It is very common around this age to see a slight regression. Mobility, as you stated, being one of the common reasons why! So keep that in mind :)

How long has she been waking every hour?

If naps are good I would leave as is... there doesn't seem to be signs of 2-1 just yet so I wouldn't worry.

I would actually push her A times more... you have her napping after about 2-2 1/2 hrs of A time. That's pretty short for her age. Here's a link of average A times to keep on hand :)

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

...and then a pretty long A time for BT. I would try to get her close to 3 hr A time during her days. See how that works. Start with maybe just the morning nap- moving 15 mins fwd for a few days, then another 15 etc.

I would rule out discomfort for sure as well too! Xo
[/quot

Thanks so much for the advice

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 17:18:56 pm »
Sounds great! :)
Fabi