Author Topic: Did your MSPI/Reflux baby outgrow being MSPI?  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Did your MSPI/Reflux baby outgrow being MSPI?
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:07:38 am »
It's been ages since I've posted . . .

My daughter is 8 now.  When she was a baby she had reflux that we controlled by eliminating milk from my diet (I was breastfeeding).  I eliminated soy too because that seemed like the cautious thing to do, but I was never as rigid about that and never as sure that it made a difference.  My older son had a dairy allergy, so we were just a dairy-free house for years.  But then the kids seemed to outgrow their allergy and we slowly reintroduced a little milk into our diet. 

But now my daughter is having lots of tummy troubles and frequent heart burn.  We're reduced her dairy as she does notice that seems to be a trigger, but we haven't radically eliminated it.  I mentioned all this to the doctor and he kind of blew it off.  He didn't see a need to radically eliminate dairy--yes, avoid cheese and ice cream, but don't sweat a cookie with butter in it, or trace amounts in dark chocolate, etc. 

I'm wondering what others have experienced?  Has anybody experienced dairy causing heartburn in an older child?

Thank you!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Did your MSPI/Reflux baby outgrow being MSPI?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:16:57 am »
My middle one outgrew it quite quickly, but we still see a huge difference with ds if he has dairy - mostly behavioural, but I would imagine that goes hand in hand with discomfort. I am not massively rigid about it - he would, for example, be allowed cake at a party of a biscuit with butter in it - but I do notice when we have been a bit too relaxed for too long as the behaviours start to creep in. He never has anything with milk or cheese in, and we don't give him yoghurts.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:01:56 pm »
Yes, still MSPI at 6yo here, and reflux gets worse if he has dairy (I only give him the occasional glass of A2 milk).

Fortunately he is now under the gastro paediatrician and the allergy clinic so they are taking it seriously. The paed said to take the milk out of his diet and see if he was less refluxy, which he was, then to re-introduce and see if he flared up again, which is where we currently are. He flares up during growth spurts, and he just had one, so I think we'll need to wait until the next one before we know for sure!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 18:03:24 pm »
Wow, hi Bethany!

Funny you bring this up as I remember you helping me out a lot when my DS was first diagnosed with mspi and reflux. And nowat 8.5 I am scratching my head over the possibility he is having troubles as well.  Stomach aches, burning red cheeks (one of his major symptoms as a baby) and he is full or doesnt feel good after a few bites of food. My gut tells me it is reflex and my fear is it is possibly a return of his mspi  :-\ but i have avoided taking him to the dr because I want it not to be, so i am avoiding it. Bad, I know. :-[ 

But I am interested to hear you are also noticing a symptom return and am curious if others have as well ?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 18:20:29 pm »
Ours never went away. Both girls can have *limited* dairy aside from cultured dairy like yogurt or kefir (that is less troublesome), but more than a tiny bit of cheese or ice cream and tummy aches happen. They're 11.5 and 15YO now.

Exception is raw (unpasteurized) milk; the place we usually get it is A2 milk (so from Jersey cows instead of Holstein), which seems to also make a difference, FWIW.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 00:34:39 am »
Still MPI here at 5.5. Accidentally gave her something with butter the other day and she had diarrhea  :-\. We're thinking of doing the GAPS diet (a trial of a month to see if it starts helping behavioural stuff for my ds), and hoping it will help me dd with her dairy issues.
Claire x

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 17:57:49 pm »
Well, we've been more aggressive about reducing her dairy and it seems to be helping.  We still haven't gone after all the trace amounts.  We also elevated the head of her bed. 

It's so hard when they are older!  So many more opportunities to eat food that is not from our home--school meals, Valentine's candy, etc. 

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 18:30:30 pm »
Yes I am finding the same Bethany. That, and my DS is a picky eater and eats the same few things all the time. Mainly cheese, yogurt, cereal with milk, etc etc etc.  This is my main hesitation in cutting dairy....he'd starve himself before eating new things.