Author Topic: 15 month old suddenly nursing frequently  (Read 1291 times)

Offline FrankiesMom12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2017, 13:20:47 pm »
Hi All - My 15 month old has started to nurse much more frequently over the last week or so, and wants to nurse for 30 - 45 minutes at a time.  Prior to this we were slowly weaning.  She would nurse first thing in the morning, last thing before books at bed, and usually once a night.

She is insisting on nursing at least 4 times or more during the day, and at least twice at night.  If I ask her to wait or tell her no, she will scratch my chest and yank on my shirt until I break down and nurse her.  This is new to me as I had to stop nursing my son at 1 year due to a life threatening illness and necessary medication.

Is this normal?  She was teething (4 molars all at once), but they have pretty much cut through, and no sign of this stopping.  I feel fairly tired lately, and a little frustrated as I've never been away from my kids overnight, and I'm looking forward to a trip to visit my sister by myself in NYC.  I feel like I can't plan the trip; however, if she still has this need to nurse so frequently.

I should also mention she pretty much won't drink milk, so I try to make up for that with lots of cheese and yogurt.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 15 month old suddenly nursing frequently
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 22:30:06 pm »
Yes it's normal. There are lots of developments going on at 15mo and separation anxiety peaks so it could well be that. Teething is a very common time to increase feeds as well.

I found mine were demanding more when sitting around at home and getting out lots to distract helped. 

I just try to remind myself that it won't be forever. They aren't so little for long.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011