Author Topic: Exhausted Mum, 5mo baby SUCH hard work, don't know where to start!  (Read 7120 times)

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Exhausted Mum, 5mo baby SUCH hard work, don't know where to start!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 10:33:41 am »
So whilst yesterday was definitely worth celebrating, last night was AWFUL! He seems to have developed a chesty cough so that was definitely part of it... BT was 7 and by 7:40pm he was asleep (all by himself!) then he woke at 9 and took until 10 to go back (this seemed to be more like a dreamfeed) then woke again at 12:15am and was up until 1:30am - I left him in cot and stayed with him. He was so almost there but then had a coughing fit and woke himself up so I fed-to-sleep. Then awake again at 3:!5 (actually think too much feeding because he had wind) and back to sleep by 4am. Again, doing well himself but couldn't *quite* get there, so needed me again. Awake again at 4:45am at which point I gave up and handed up over to the OH who rocked him to sleep in the buggy - 15mins almost gone and then bumped into something so it took another 30mins to get him off. And then he was up at 7!

So now our day started at 7 instead of 6. Am going to try a long nap in the middle and have a v short CT to still get him to bed for 7pm...

Tomorrow we are starting IN EARNEST at all naps in the cot, trying combo of Shhh/Pat (probably firm hand plus Ewan for white noise) and PU/PD if really distressed.

Currently on 2h30min wake time but as he's 6mo next week and can probably handle it, will go to 2h 45m over the weekend...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 14:06:20 pm »
Sorry to hear he is so poorly with this cough :(
It's very normal to need to help them sleep during illness.

I'm not sure why you would plan just one long nap and a CN today?  You can still fit in two long naps before BT even with a WU 1hr later this morning - plus LO is likely tired from being awake several times in the night.

Hope he is feeling better soon x

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 16:40:38 pm »
Today was amazing... start of proper sleep training (i.e. All naps in cot - even out the buggy in the car to stay strong!) and...

Nap #1 took 30mins to fall asleep and slept 45
Nap #2 took 10mins and slept 2h
CN took 10mins slept for 30

Going to try and keep it going throughout the night. Last night he fed at 9:45pm (DF), midnight and 3am but for his weight and his age and also his behaviour I think the second two feeds are more like sucking resettling 'feeds' as opposed to hunger. Going to keep the DF (I actually wait for him to stir rather than lifting him as he needs to direct the DF not me - too spirited!) but ask my husband to cover the midnight waking. Not sure whether to feed or power on through at the 3am?

Unfortunately DD (almost 3yrs) and DS are sharing a room... but if she wakes up enough to be annoyed at the crying, she can come in with me for a bit. It's Saturday tomorrow so she can have a longer nap ;)

Any tips for the night for OH? We are in S Africa so two hours ahead... ;)

Thanks so much for help so far!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 18:57:50 pm »
It's nice to hear you sounding so positive today - you've done well :)

WRT night feeds.
Your LO is 5-5 months old and you are EBF.  It is totally normal to have 2 NFs or even 3 at this age - and also normal for there to be increased NFs for growth spurts as this is when your supply is increased.
I am not the best advice on BF as I was unable to so my knowledge is somewhat limited but I pick up some information from the threads I read.
If you would like to post for specific advice on the number of night feeds please feel welcome to do so on the BF board.
Otherwise  I would expect NFs to be at least 3hrs apart, if it is less than 3hrs and LO doesn't feed properly then it is more likely for comfort/habit rather than hunger.  I think I'd be inclined to feed at the 3am as there is a long stretch then between the DF and the NF.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 11:50:49 am »
I agree with creations that 2-3 NFs are normal for this age so I wouldn't withhold if he's waking for them, even more so when he's sick. The milk will help soothe his throat from all the coughing.

Ideally you want 2 long naps at this age so I'd work on getting that first nap later and/or extending it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011