Author Topic: How long awake when moving to 1 nap-maybe LSN?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Jm2450

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How long awake when moving to 1 nap-maybe LSN?
« on: March 19, 2017, 19:44:28 pm »
Hi guys, just after a little bit of advice. My LO is 8.5 months and a pretty textbook baby. She prefers night sleep and normally gives 11.5-12.5 average but sometimes (like last night 13) and has never been a big baller. 2 hours a day is pretty average but sometimes only 1.5 and the most we'd ever really have is 2.5 hours. She transitioned to 2 naps very easily at 5 months when she just wouldn't sleep for that last nap. We have had several days over the last few weak or second nap refusal or second nap not being taken till close to 5pm and think she is trying to transition but it seems so early!! DS was 14 months but he did love an early morning so it was hard to get rid of the morning nap.

We don't have a set in stone routine with DD as she has to be flexible around her brother but generally sleeps 30/45 mins in the morning on the ago and 1-1.5 in The afternoon. I guess an approx routine would be as follows:
Wake up 7.15
Nap 10.30-11.15
Nap 2.45-3.45
Asleep 7/7.15

I generally don't like waking from naps as I never know if I'll get a second nap or it will be a decent chunk and am keen to avoid it pos as hated doing it with DS who would always then give a 2 hour afternoon nap.

Today she slept in till 8.15 (after a 5am fees although generally doesn't feed overnight) and didn't show tired signs until 1215. She settled to sleep happily and was asleep by 12.30. She let out a little shriek after 20 mins but slept until 2.50!! We never have sleeps like this. She was also the happiest she has been in the afternoon in a long time as often still seems tired after 2 rubbishy naps. I watched for tired signs his evening and she was asleep happily at 7.30 (again seems like a huge awake time?

Shall I keep trying for 1 nap? Surely this is far too young for the transition? Are my awake times too low on 2 naps which is resulting in the 45/55/70 min naps we seem to get? Is she LSN? I guess we average 14ish hours over 24.

Sorr for all the questions! I'm actually quite looking foreward to when the transition is over as it'll be Muff easier to get out and about with the toddler all morning and afternoon.

Thanks in advance!! X

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: How long awake when moving to 1 nap-maybe LSN?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 13:23:24 pm »
She may be lower sleep needs - or rather she may be one who prefers to consolidate her sleep at night, rather than in the day, though overall sleep totals aren't especially 'low'.  Because she is so young right now I would continue to be a bit flexible, it may be that she can handle the odd 1-nap day for now with some big A times, but not every day.  It's young to be on 1 nap totally, but we do see some babies who start to transition around now.  Bear in mind the transition can take several weeks to months, especially for those starting early so continue to follow her cues and give two naps where she needs.  I think her A times are pretty average for 8 months right now - and if she has to fit around brother's routine it may be you don't have that much in the way of flexibility to experiment with pushing them.  Do you have set times you need to be out and about?

Offline Jm2450

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 14:34:55 pm »
Thank you. Generally our and about at groups/activities in the morning and afternoon so when she goes into one nap, it will fit in much more easily with our day! Today I watched for ores signs after a 6.45an wake (slept through) and she eye rubbed after 4 hours and conked out quickly in the sling. Unfortunately she doesn't sleep longer than 30 mins in it so short nap at soft play. No tired signs since but I'm attempting to put her down 3 hours later at 2.30 otherwise I'm worried we won't get in a second sleep! Leta see what this one holds. She went to sleep relatively quickly. Thibk like you say we may have a few months or tooing and fro-img and just try 1 nap on later wake up days when we definitely wouldn't fit in 2 naps without a crazy late bedtime. Thanks for you help!

Offline Jm2450

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 15:32:00 pm »
Ahh 45 mins! Seems like we need full 3.5-4 hour awake times all the time now to get anything over 45 mins

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 15:45:03 pm »
You can fit 2 naps in with up to about 4-4.5h A times if needed - e.g.

WU 7
Nap 11-12.30
Catnap around 4.30/5
Bedtime 7.30/8

or WU 7
Catnap around 10/10.30 (can cut this to as little as 10 mins to make sure 2nd nap taken)
Main nap around 2.5-3h later
BT 7.30/8

Offline Jm2450

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:33 am »
Thank you. 7pm-8am night again after rubbishy naps yesterday so will perhaps try for one nap again today xx