Author Topic: 5 month old flipping and waking!  (Read 1477 times)

Offline saxist

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:40:49 pm »
Hi mummies,

My 5 month old has been flipping to her front in the middle of the night and starts crying and doesn't know how to go back to sleep! It's not possible to stop her from flipping (I've put pillows) so I don't know how else to solve this. When she flips from back to front and starts crying I flip her back, do PU/PD and shh-pat. Sometimes it works but if it doesn't after 1 hour, I'll feed her and she'll sleep.

I know it's not due to hunger because I just fed her 1-2 hours before. Sometimes 15mins after we settle her she flips and starts crying again!

NAPS
For naps, it's somewhat similar. We do PU/PD and shh-pat (need to pat quite hard before she can sleep) while she's on her side. But she'll wake up when she moves either face up or flips over to face down.

Tried doing wake-to-sleep which recommends going in ard 37 mins? But by 30mins she's already awake!

Need some advice, thanks in advance!!

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: 5 month old flipping and waking!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 18:10:09 pm »
Hello :)

Welcome to BWF! Super excited to have you on board. Hopefully we can help you out here in some way! Help find you some relief! Hugsssss ;D

First of all, many hugs!! This is a trying age with so many changes going on!

-new found mobility (like rolling such as your LO!)
-there is a growth spurt around the 6mth mark (LOs might NW out if hunger. Make sure she's getting enough during her day so she's not making up for it at night!)
-many LOs start dropping their 3rd nap and settling into two naps..... which leads me into her EASY and A time.

Could you possibly list her EASY in easy format please?

E 7am
A
S 10am - 11:30am

E
A
S

Etc etc....

A times increase around this stage and she might be under tired and that's why she's staying up and wanting to roll. Of course it helps that during the day your attempt to help her learn how to flip back too. This rolling phase is a toughy, I know, but it will end before you know it. Next thing she's standing and can't get back down!! Like our current battle ::) ;)

Also, you may find that by simply tweaking her routine, you will do less in terms of wake to sleep and PU/PD. Which is usually methods used as last resort once all other options have been tried :)

Xo
Fabi

Offline Ramom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 14:54:02 pm »
The harness in this link has been a lifesaver for us! My baby can roll right and left and move around(it does not constrict his movement) , but he doesn't get stuck in his tummy. It opens and closes easily with Velcro. (I only use the straps under his arms,  not between his legs).

Read up on safety regulations before you think of purchasing it though,  because recommendations in many places are against having anything in bed with the baby.

http://www.target.com/p/reste-safe-sleep-solution/-/A-51244082?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9003971&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9P7FBRCtoO33_LGUtPQBEiQAU_tBgNm8XZDOhdweuV3R4IWsDtqEGryV_-iNz7rqLSwI1OoaAn9o8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds