Author Topic: When should I  (Read 1631 times)

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 23, 2017, 13:50:24 pm »
Hi all,

My 9 month old fell asleep by 830pm using the pu/pg method last night. Fed at 1.30pm and back to sleep. Woke at almost 5am and I did the pu/pd until he slept.

However, I didn't know what to do when he woke up at 720am crying. I just made that the start of the day because I didn't want to pu/pd for only an extra hour.

Was I wrong? What should I do if he wakes up like this again?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 19:00:59 pm »
And what is your desired routine? Was he ever doing 12h nights that you expect him to sleep past 7am with 8pm bedtime? I personally was succesful with pupd for EWU even 30-40min before desired EWU but when DS was much younger, around 3-4mo.

Remember that pupd for a 8/9mo usually means only pd not pu?
~Marta

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:37:27 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I just expected him to sleep for 12 hrs. I probably should try making 730pm his bedtime since he woke up today at the exact same time too (720am). Hopefully, I can try this today and it wont cause him to wake up at 6am!

I thought the point was not to let them cry without comforting. I just started the approach and he always cries hard so I pick him up and immediately put down when he calms down. Last night he didn't get up much but cried a lot. He would roll onto his tummy and cry then not and then cry again. Am I suppose to leave him to cry at that stage?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 15:32:52 pm »
Pupd is not about not letting them cry but not to break their faith in you. Putting up is fine until some age but later on even short comforting in your hands can be a prop not to mention that putting up can be too stimulating for some kids even younger than 8/9mp.

In general you try to comfort him in the crib, not letting him cry alone. Calming him with shhh/pat if he likes it and if he reacts positively. If he just seem to be furious of what you are doing you just sit and be there for him maybe with your hand on him.
~Marta

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 17:38:46 pm »
Interesting.

He does like the patting so I can continue that. Do I pat until asleep? I think Tracy said to, right?

Also, I say "It's bedtime" over and over again to him. For example, I put him down and he rolls over and cries. I then pat his back and say that over and over again and he calms down. Is that ok? I gradually stop patting and just say the words. Then I move further away and gradually stop the words too. Then I leave.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: When should I
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:55 am »
There's a good link here on how to adapt pupd as they get older
How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)
And more info on the sleep FAQS board
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011