Author Topic: Can I move bt?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Can I move bt?
« on: February 23, 2017, 21:30:57 pm »
At the moment dd`s bt is 10  :-\
She has a nap at preschool and I think that nap is too long because she has pushed bt to 10pm. 10pm should be my bt.
She wakes around 6.30-7, sttn I`d say is 60-40, with sttn being 60.

We cant cut the nap, I`ve asked. When she is at home we cap it anywhere between 30-60 minutes, or she skips it. Bt then is 8.30-9.

I am thinking of trying to move bt by 15 minutes, but I wonder if she is too old to try this to work?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Can I move bt?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 22:03:06 pm »
My DD was like this before she hit 3 - if she slept in the day then sleep time was 10pm - we dropped the nap quickly and sleep time went back to a normal time.

Why can't they let her not nap in pre-school? What time do you put her to bed now?

They have an amount of sleep in them for 24 hours and it's either nap plus night or night sleep. My DD needed about 11 hours before she was 3 and she was much better for getting those 11 hours in a block at night rather than 1.5/2 hours for a nap and a shorter night.

It depends on what time you put her to bed, but if she isn't sleeping until 10 just putting her to bed earlier isn't likely to make the difference dropping the nap would really :-\

Laura

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 22:39:21 pm »
We had the same problem with preschool. They keep nap until 4-5 yo (it was not negotiable), so we had to deal with shorter nights. Our bt was 9 pm anyway, no matter what, and in the end DS learned not to sleep during nap time at preschool. At 4 yo he had to wait 1.5 h without sleeping... And also that rest time had an impact on his sleep, it was stealing 30-60 mins of night sleep even though he did not nap! It was not right to me, but this was the rule, and here kids go to bed later, and many keep nap until 5-6 yo.
Maybe you can anticipate bt and hope that she learn not to sleep in the day, if she has enough sleep at night.
Barbara

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:53:54 pm »
The sleep-culture is so different place to place isn't it.
I can not imagine my child going to bed at 10pm I would find it so hard to cope with having zero Y time even though I do of course love his company.

We cant cut the nap, I`ve asked. When she is at home we cap it anywhere between 30-60 minutes, or she skips it. Bt then is 8.30-9.
Would it be an option to try no naps at home? She might then be overall tired enough to make BT a bit earlier every night due to the couple of days of no naps?
It wouldn't have really worked for my DS as he needed every day to be exactly the same but a mixture of naps and no naps do work for some kids.

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 14:18:12 pm »
10 pm is "early" for people here, ahah. I think that the reason is that many parents reach the hous at 6-7 pm, so having later bt is a way to spend some time with their kids. For us, we often have to rush for a 9pm bt, because of the after school activities... but the thing is that having longer nights really was essential for my ds, he would not have coped at 3-4 with 9-10 h nights even with a 2 h nap. So that routine was really not possible for us.
Barbara

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 14:20:26 pm »
Oh and many parents cosleep here, so their kids also go to bed at the same time of their parents! Crazy, I know... at least for me that grew as a parent with a bw mentality ;)
Barbara

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 14:46:01 pm »
And on the opposite side, a lady I worked with had 3 or 4 (I forget) grown up children, she told me they had all gone to bed at 6.30pm every single night regardless of age because that's when she clocked off as a parent (I don't think she ignored illness or anything just that her Y time started then). They could amuse themselves in their room until sleep time but come 6.30pm they had "gone to bed". Amazing!

Offline dache

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 21:47:40 pm »
^Well that sounds lovely but impossible here. There is no way that would work for dd. We try to have no nap days at home unless she is very tiered and cranky but she still needs rest/quite time atm.  :-\ I was hoping I could guide her to doping the while we were on vacation in September so that she wont nap at preschool but it was too early, she was sick a lot then so I let the idea go. Maybe I can do it this year.

Barbara, it`s same here. We car poll with the neighbor whose little boy is in the same group at preschool as dd. He is always asleep in the car because he goes to bed after 11pm, sometimes much later. I wont last until 11. It`s 10.40 and I`m half asleep.

My mum picked her up today, she will stay there for a few days. She has lots of fun there and we`ll try to have no naps. She took a 30 minute nap today and was asleep by 8.15. Why can she do that at home for me?!  :D

Offline dache

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:09:33 am »
I really really dont like this! She was up until 10:00yesterday, 10:30 the day before. I`ve been training for a half marathon and I`m wiped by that time.

I want 8-8:30 bed time, a child that does not stay up after I`m asleep. Is that too much to ask?   ;D