Author Topic: 25 months multiple problems please help  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Helenmarge

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:55:03 am »
Hi,

My dd has slept through (mostly ) since 10 months. We put her in her new room and bed 6 weeks ago and initially all was fine. 10 days ago she appeared to have a nightmare and we spent some time settling her back to sleep in her own bed, since this happened she wakes frequently in night and won't settle unless we're in sight, she says mummy here repeatedly and talks about spiders
Since it happened

She has had a lot of change including a new sister 6 months ago, nursery started 5 weeks ago and as I said new room and big bed.

I am leading her back to bed each time she wakes but it's so frequent I'm not getting more than 60 mins of sleep a time... her day is usually
6 WU and Breastfeed
7 Breakfast
1130 lunch
12-1/2 Nap
5 dinner and wind down
630 bed, settles fairly easily usually although needs me in sight again now

Thanks in advance

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: 25 months multiple problems please help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:13:27 am »
Hi Helenmarge,

We went through this exact thing and it took some trial and error for DS to be comfortable in his bed and new room. I think it's a combination of their development, especially mental dev't that involves imagination at this age, along with verbal and physical growth. The half years and year mark usually cause some sleep disturbance. Of course the life changes can affect it, too.

Here's what we did at first:
-made wind down longer to bed, so an extra 10 or more mins of cuddling and reading
-used a lovey and asked DS to hug it when he woke in the middle of the night and everything will be all right, and used lovely during wind down, and any other time for comfort to create a healthy attachment
-talked about how mom and dad are right here in the next room

Then we had to try:
-using a night light (I thought it would backfire bc he would see shadows but it worked for him and a couple of my friends' toddlers as well)
-opening the door and said we'll leave this open so it'll be alright (this worked the best)

The worst nights we would have to lay down next to him, especially if he got emotional about daddy being gone.  The next night, we go back to our usual routine, until he starts to get hysterical. Then we say, we'll stay for a little bit then daddy is going to leave the door open for you and go downstairs.  Sometimes we literally have to pee so we say that we have to use the bathroom, night night, and leave the door open for him. We make a big deal about the door and it's helped him.

Some members here have tried discussing the day with their toddlers so they can process it and let it go...
For your situation, I would start and end by talking about anything happy that happened that day, colorful things like tickling, the playground, dessert, friends, etc... before reading, then choose a low key, calming book, perhaps one with a song.  if all this doesn't help and she continues to talk about spiders, she might have to help confronting the fear... In this case, I would frame the topic to make it positive... spiders tickle when they crawl, they spin beautiful webs, they live with other bug friends in the grass, etc... Or find a book that has a friendly spider.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you think.