Author Topic: 6 week old twins  (Read 1602 times)

Offline professormom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2017, 19:59:38 pm »
Hi everyone. I have not been on the forum in almost two years as my daughter is 2.5 years old now. We used this site all the time when we were trying to establish good sleep habits early on.

I just gave birth to twins boys 6 weeks ago. They were 4 weeks early so I am wondering if I should go by 2 week old wake times or 6 weeks? Any thoughts here?

We started trying to implement the EASY a few weeks ago and have had some success and some major failures. I think right now we are trying to figure out the wake times for both of them and what to do when certain issues arise that are new to us. For example, what do you do when your baby falls asleep right after eating. My daughter never did this. Do I swaddle and put down right away? Is this typical for the age? This is not every feed just later in the day so we are not sure how to handle. We did not start an EASY until 2.5 months with my daughter.

Anyone else with twins of a similar age that would like to share their routine/schedule?

Thanks so much and I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 6 week old twins
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:56 am »
Hello and welcome back to BW forums :)

Congratulations on the new arrivals too, how lovely.

I would recommend using their adjusted age for A times and developments, obviously all LOs are different anyway so there is always flexibility in the EASY routine based on what suits the individual, but in general I'd go with the adjusted age.
They are still super young, I wouldn't expect much at this point and if there is sleep right after feeds sometimes I think that is to be expected.  As they get bigger you can gradually encourage a bit more A time between E and S.
I started the EASY routine with my own DS when he was 4-5 wks old and initially was just gently extending his E times and putting a little A between E and S. I followed cues rather than A times for sleep and this meant some A times were very long and some short but cue following seemed to work well for a young baby. I was also sleep training, gently, with some good days and some not so good, but I had a lot of time to put into it which I imagine you don't have with 3 LOs under the age of 3yo!
If it was me I'd do what you can to put them down for naps so they learn gradually to self sooth, but I would also keep expectations low and not beat yourself up about it if they nod off when being fed or need a few sling/pram naps either.  I always think it is handy to have some pram naps for babies when there are other children who need to go out and about etc, my own refused to sleep in a pram as he was just not used to it which caused me some difficulty.  You might decide to sleep train in a pram so that you can either stay home and they nap or go out and about and they can still nap.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:14:25 am »
Hi and congratulations on your new babies!

No advice to add but just wanted to say you might get some more support and advice from other twin mums on this support thread, although it's been quite quiet recently:

Sleep and EASY support for twins and multiples

DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 21:39:17 pm »
There's also a FAQ worth checking out