Author Topic: Nap length for 10 month old...Is anything under 1.5hr bad?  (Read 7140 times)

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Nap length for 10 month old...Is anything under 1.5hr bad?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 03:54:11 am »
How much sleep is he getting in 24hrs? And before sleep/nap training? I'm concerned he might be getting OT. Can you list the past few days of ES again?

Would you be willing to work on the BT for 2 weeks straight, without wavering, while you still offer him help with nap?

From your earlier post-
1. Has the time for him to settle decreased at all? If so, you might be making progress without realizing it. I would attend to him once he switches to an escalated cry from mantra.  Continue with gently PD and add the phrase "mommy's here. It's sleepy time, mommy's right here." You intervene with this phrase so that he knows you're there, even if you don't put down. It's alright to do this in the beginning and then as soon as you notice he lays down without your assistance, just use the phrase. Then as you notice he is more calm, wait to say the phrase, and so on until he is ok without it.

2. I would use the same phrase as for BT,  but again, would you consider tackling the BT first before working on naps. Especially if you feel stressed with "messing up" naps. Unless you are consistent, sleep training ends up being harder for everyone. Did we recommend sh/pat for naps? If so, I would do JUST a firm hold on the back and the phrase.

3. 3rd nap at this age might be difficult so I would do a really EBT (early bedtime), your established A time after the last nap. (If your share your EA again we can see when an EBT would be). . Especially since he's taking 1-1.5 hrs to fall asleep at BT and might have acculumulated OT. As for bed time, it helps to have a set BT, give or take 30 mins bc it takes the geussing game out of it. It also helps regulate their aleeo over time. However, my DS did better with A times. He's one that never tacked on sleep well and woke up the same time in the mornings. He also was/is very sensitive to OT, so I have to be on top of his sleep times.  Toddlers do better with set times I hear. I think this age is more flexible but in the next few months you want to help get a good routine established with predictable bed time.

4. (New 1.) 10:25 seems ok, I may have oushed that to 10:30/10:40 to be closer to deaired nap time.  When did he go down and how long did he sleep?
Basically- nap time give or take 15 mins won't throw you off too much.
If your goal wu is 7:30, make nap time around 11, but 10:45 on days he wakes before 7:30.

5. (New 2.) our goal is independent sleep and for him to regulate how much he needs. Are we talking after 45 mins or 1.5 hr? If he has had a good, restorative nap, then I would be sure he's fully awake and at a different place before nursing. How often does he sleep 2.5 hrs or is that recent? Possibly bc he's catching up?

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 08:17:01 am »
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I actually forgot to update on ome of the things you mentioned.

I was messing up (and still am in some ways) because I didn't stick to the routine...that first week I still let him sleep in my arms because I could see he was going through developmental changes that made him get up many times at night (3-7times to every single hour) and be extra clingy.

Saturday was a bad day since I was busy and husband woke him up after 10mins of sleep and I didn't get to him until around 1pm. So I let him sleep on me on Sunday for one final time. I let him sleep in and then did an early nap 1 (after 2-2.5hrs) which he slept for 2.5hrs. Then the second nap after 3hrs for 1hr. Then bedtime was close to 8pm, I believe.

You're absolutely right. I NEED to stick to the times and not be so soft. Today (Wednesday I am, hopefully).

Just to update,

1. I started ST again on Sunday night. Just PD and my mantra phrase which I am phasing out. So I do our routine, kiss, put in bed while saying it's sleep time and touch his back. Then I do the mantra "it's sleep time" if he cries. If he sits up I put him down. If he cries hard, I've been saying "I'm here with you. You're fine".
2. He doesn't take too long to sleep. It's down to about 20mins for BT now. N2 is always worst than N1.

Monday (slept on his bed with no help or w2s from me)
735am
1046-1159
315-425
745ish

Tuesday
1027-1130 (without help...then he fell asleep on me while feeding until 1230)
340-509 (I wanted to wake him at 430pm but got busy...then I wanted to see if he could do 1.5hrs by himself. I was surprised since he slept a lot for nap1, though with my help)
815ish

(woke up every 2hrs because of the cold...I think)

Wednesday (so far)

To answer youre questions...

1. It's hard to say. Night time is usually only 11hrs for him (although with my help he can sleep in to get to 12hrs). Then I have to minus all the wakes ups...it's around 3 for normal days now but can be two. If he wakes up to feed at 5am, he'll wake at 6am and then 7 something. If at 6am, then up for 7something. He seems awake while nursing at night, so I can take 1hr off that too total. With ST, it seems 1hr is his average sleep...although it's still the start. Last time it went from 1hr15 to 1hr to 45 to 30mins.

I'm hopeful, though.

2. Yes, I'm willing. I'll post what happens today. Please suggest a good bedtime and wake time and I'll try to stick to it for the next 2 weeks. From the start, I tried to make BT between 7pm and 730pm...but when he started fussing more he got to 8pm+. Then he wants to sleep in in the morning and wont want to wake up even if I turn on the lights.

3. Ok, I'll try to push the a times to 3hr30mins and see if he sleeps longer. I know he can do it. When I first started STing (end of month 8, I think), he dropped the third nap and would sleep for 2hrs in my arms and 1hr for n2. The last week, I let him sleep in my arms and he was doing 2-2.5 hrs in my arms for nap 1. On his bed, he never napped for more than 1hr on average (except yesterday's nap2!)

4. Whenever he sleeps for 1hr on his bed, he always tries to sleep again on me after waking.

ETA: I'm still looking into what's happening at night because each night there was something that happened that might have disturbed his sleep...cold, husband coming into the apartment, etc. So I'm not sure if he's waking up from habit or external reasons, although I think it's the latter. For all sleep times, I've been doing the same mantra phrase until he quiets down, then for a bit, then I leave and listen. For this last nap, I said it maybe 3 times, then left. He cried out and stopped. Then made a noise. Then I didn't hear anything after that. Does this mean he's an IS now? I hardly touch him nowadays. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:34:09 am by airam »

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 08:49:19 am »
Wednesday
1035-1156
313-420ish
750ish

What do you think if I extend A times for N2 instead of N1? So keep A1 at 3hr and extend A2 to 3.5hrs.

It would be more convenient for us to remain consistent.

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 06:48:42 am »
bedtime took 1hr to settle again...naps were 1hr so ot?

so he woke again at around 11pm last night. has been up every night but I think its due to external reasons... should I pd if he wakes up before his 1am/3am feed?

Offline ginger428

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 21:14:15 pm »
Will be back later to respond to 3/29 post, but for now...

If nap 1 has lengthened again and he goes down without requiring much assistance, then yes, now try lengthening the A for the second nap.

Pd is the last resort so if requesting he lays down and your presence and sleepy phrase doesn't help, then yes, pd. But the next night, try everything else first again.

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 06:45:30 am »
both naps are always around 1hr unless I help by keeping him down when he tries to wake up.

I cant get my mind around how the day will look like if I push nap1 to around 11 and he naps for 1.5hr+ plus a longer nap2. my ideal day would look like this but its only with 3hr a times. obviously that's not working now to extend naps...but there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for increasing both a times, longer naps and keeping bt where it is without ut (shortening the last a time before bed). Or do you mean a short A times is ok before BT?

700am wu
10-1130
230-400
700pm bt

for now, ive been keeping wu and bt at 7am/pm.

if i'm following correctly, this is the schedule youre advising now

7am wu
1030-12
3-4
7pm bt

I wanted to keep nap 1 short and make nap2 longer since we are out on Saturday mornings and a 1hr nap seems for feasible.

anyway, to answer your questions,

1. no, nap1 is still around 1hr. some days there is resistance. some with only a few minutes.

2. by pd, I mean that if he sits up, I put a hand on this back and gentle guide him down. he usually throws himself down or goes down with my help. do you mean I shouldn't pd at all and just use my phrase and let him pd himself?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:03:27 am by airam »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 07:47:23 am »
Why don't you keep the first nap as it is at 1hr and extend the second A time to try for a longer pm nap if that suits better. A 1hr nap and a 1.5hr nap may well be plenty at this age.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 05:01:45 am »
Why don't you keep the first nap as it is at 1hr and extend the second A time to try for a longer pm nap if that suits better. A 1hr nap and a 1.5hr nap may well be plenty at this age.

Honestly, I dont know anymore. It seems he's gotten used to the former schedule.

Just waiting...

Offline ginger428

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 18:02:15 pm »
do you mean I shouldn't pd at all and just use my phrase and let him pd himself?

Yes if you think it's worth a try at this point... as in he's making progress and you want to see if he can do it independently.  If not, there's no rush, especially if the pd is working.