Author Topic: Crawling at night - is this a phase?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline melmor

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 09, 2017, 23:14:06 pm »
Hi my 11 month old has just realized that he can sit, crawl and stand in his sleep sac, and he practices this throughout the night. He's never been a great sleeper at night but got him to the point where he would put his soother back in and fall back asleep. Now he wakes up rolls over, sits up and whines because he doesn't know how to get himself back to laying down. The only thing that seems to work is to go in and Rock him back to sleep.
I'm not sure if this is a scheduling thing or a phase we have to wait out. His schedule is:
630-7 wake up and bottle
830 - breakfast
10-1130 - nap
12 bottle
1 - lunch
230-330 - nap
4 - bottle
5 - supper
7-730 bed

Lately he's been up at 12, 3, 5 and 630. Were exhausted it's like having a newborn all over again.

I can't tell if it's just a thing he's exploring or his schedule needs to be tweaked. He usually sleep 2-3 hrs during the day.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:04:34 am »
From my experience, it is definitely a phase with physical development, however, your A times are on the low end of an 11 mo.  Hi daytime sleep is good, may need to cap at 2.5 hrs total. These can cause undertiredness and frequent and/or long nws.

To tackle the two things:
1) Practice, practice, practice, laying down from sitting during the day. Or whenever possible before bed. What have you tried besides rocking to get him back to sleep during the night? This phase will pass for sure!
2) Extend his A time by 15 mins each to aim for 4 hr. So morning nap will start at 10:15. Then do one of two things for the second nap and bedtime- start second nap at 2:45 and end at 3:30, keep BT the same at 7/7:30. Start second nap at 2:45 and end at 3:45, and move BT later by 15 mins also.  This depends on what kind of routine works best for your family, and ultimately how your son responds.  I'm inclined to suggest ending nap at 3:30 since avg daytime sleep around 11/12mo is 2-2.5 hrs.

Here is a link to what happens in the months before a baby drops the second nap. NOT saying you're there, but I found it helpful to figure out where to place his second nap and what effects there are with 2 nap routines.
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

What do you think?