Author Topic: Gro Clock Advice  (Read 1520 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »
Hi All,

I had been posting previously about EW and got a Gro Clock a week ago, which, perhaps correlated with teeth coming through, has been working *well*.  I'm just wondering the best way to approach the following:
DD is 22.5 months and has been STTN for a year. Goes to sleep independently for naps and nighttime.  We have recently pushed her nap back to 1pm, cap it at 1.5 hrs, and have realized she only needs/wants 11 hrs at night. 

1) I have been adjusting the time for the clock based on a 15/20 min variation in BT as we figure out this new schedule. IE when she only naps 1 hr ish, she goes to bed 7/715 vs longer nap, BT 730...I have been setting clock for 11 hrs from BT, which has been working (within 5 mins) most days....

2) The days when she wakes early, like 20-40 mins before clock is set....we either go in, tell her quietly that mommy and daddy are sleeping, and we'll be in when her clock turns yellow- this ends in protest, and her screaming and crying until the clock turns on...seems to make her more mad when we go in and leave again...

or DH goes in and manually turns the clock to yellow (we have a variation of traditional gro clock) and makes a big deal of it....

She is able to tell us about the clock when awake, saying yellow means wake up, mommy and daddy come in, etc.  And when she sleeps till the clock is yellow (or after), we make a big deal when we go in and she is very proud and excited....but seems to totally block this out when she wakes early.

I'm wondering if I should set for 10.5 hrs after BT or 10.45 to set her up for more success? Or wait this out until she "gets it"?

Suggestions? TIA

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Gro Clock Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 13:37:17 pm »
I'd probably set it at a time and just leave it at that.  So if BT is sometimes 7pm then WU/clock on is 6am.  Why not just leave it at 6am for now so that even with the 7.30pm BT the clock is yellow when she wakes at 6.30am?  Nap length varying means night might also vary and she might not be able to do 11hrs every night.
If you wanted WU to be 7am then I'd move the clock in 5 min increments so she doesn't have long to wait, and probably I'd use verbal reassurance from outside the room eg "It's still night time, be quiet" unless she was utterly screaming of course - then I'd go in and say it ;)
The clocks are great but they do need to be at a reasonable time for LO and when routines are changing it is a little trickier.

Whilst I'm here - you didn't ask this, but a lot of people use set nap and set BT for toddlers this age and even younger... you could perhaps set BT and just let her regulate the night according to her needs?