Author Topic: Adding calories during the day to drop night feed  (Read 1638 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Adding calories during the day to drop night feed
« on: March 12, 2017, 16:20:46 pm »
My LO is 5 months 9 days and I was reading that Tracy said that  many BF babies can drop the night feed by 6 months.

My LO has always been a good night sleeper with the exception of a couple roll over incidents in recent nights. She currently WU once in night too feed between 3-4:30 (she went longer before her nap regression... Currently battling the 30 min nap)

I am struggling with increasing calories during the day (Tracy's recommendation)

My LO is an inpatient eater and eats better when my breasts are more full and she gets good fast flow. When I have tried to top up during her AT I find she eats poorly on her next regular feed. Her total eating minutes are the same or worse.

Any other thoughts on increasing calories? Will the introduction of solid food help?

Thanks

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Adding calories during the day to drop night feed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 21:52:01 pm »
Is she having a dreamfeed? Tracy expected LOs to have a DF until 7-8mo too.  If there's no DF and that one feed is the only one that's really good going and it's doubtful she doesn't need it however much she gets in the day. Even with a DF, one night feed is still completely normal.

Tbh, breastfeeding research has moved on significantly since the books were written and we like to think Tracy would have updated her BF advice accordingly had she still been around.

One way to help increase calories is to do breast compressions whilst feeding to help dislodge the fatty molecules from the milk ducts. Are you letting her finish at one breast and then offering the second side?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Adding calories during the day to drop night feed
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 23:38:18 pm »
I think I agree with you that some BF info may need some updating.

She does take a dream feed and one night feed. I am not desperate to stop the night feed but I was very curious/skeptical about her dropping it.