Author Topic: Milk/soya allergy in older child....  (Read 4270 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Milk/soya allergy in older child....
« on: March 13, 2017, 19:55:38 pm »
A bit of help/experience please....DS (33m) is milk/soy allergic, we were late to realise it (dropped lactose from his diet at about 20 months, soya at about 26 months and then all dairy except the odd bit of cheese more recently) and if anything he seems to have got more sensitive, not less as we've gone along.  Saw a paediatrician recently who said to go completely dairy/soya free then 'experiment' with what dairy he could handle. And that's where I'm feeling a bit discouraged :(  Tried with step 1 of the 'milk ladder' over last few days which is just a malted milk biscuit (minimal milk protein) and he started to get a bit uncomfortable day 1-2, followed by proper tummy bloating and diarrhoea today :(  So I guess dairy is out for now.  Ugh just feel bad for him, it's rubbish constantly telling him he can't have things.  The only thing we haven't done is a strict dairy elimination over weeks/months which is I guess where we may be headed next...anyone done it at this age?  And did you have any success with reintroduction at a later point? Thanks for any thoughts :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Milk/soya allergy in older child....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 13:14:16 pm »
Oh no, sorry to hear that. If he is reacting to step 1 then yes it does sound like you need to do the eliminate it altogether ASAP. It will  hard as obvs soy is the obvious replacement in terms of yogurts etc although there are alternatives out there.

Have you trialled soy yet?