Author Topic: Gagging, choking, throwing up... How to wean my 6-7mo???  (Read 2325 times)

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Gagging, choking, throwing up... How to wean my 6-7mo???
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:28:37 am »
I'm finding weaning DS so hard! He'll take purees ok but even a hint of lump or bump and he goes red in the face and gaga until he throws up. He's then too distressed to eat anymore...
He'll be 7mo next week but so far all he'll eat is purees. Tried BLW and he likes the taste of banana, avo, carrot sticks etc. But as soon a bit breaks off the gagging starts again...

Had undiagnosed tongue tie and reflux as a newborn - could that be related? And how do I help him learn to eat when it's so distressing?!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Gagging, choking, throwing up... How to wean my 6-7mo???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 13:54:07 pm »
Sounds exactly like my DS!

We also had reflux here  :( It looks like LO still has a very active gag reflex, so you'll have to wait for that to diminish before he'll be ok with lumps.

MY DS was on smooth purees for a long time. I think I managed to get him onto stage 2 baby food (still pretty smooth, tiny lumps) after he turned 12mo. He was better with dry things (biscuits, crackers etc.) so he got those once he was able to hold them himself. He wouldn't accept stage 3 baby food until about 18mo and would still gag easily  :(

This is something you'll have to take at his pace. Offer more textured foods occasionally, try different things, and don't worry as he's still getting most of his calories from milk at this stage  :)

Also, don't worry about speech - DS has always been very advanced with that, despite the delay in tolerating lumps!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 19:14:57 pm »
I would probably stick with smooth foods and purees without any lumps in at all *and at the same time* finger foods which he can pick up himself and self feed.
The thing with having lumps in puree is that some LOs are not expecting it and so they suddenly find a lump in their mouth and not really sure what to do with it, try to swallow and gag.  The finger foods that he self feeds, he knows they are different to the purees so whilst it might still cause some gagging he does know if he picks up a piece of finger food and puts it in his mouth that he is going to get a solid bit and he will gradually learn what to do with it.
Spitting out is fine, gagging although doesn't look nice is not really harmful, choking though is the thing to watch for. It sounds like (as HH said) he still has a very active gag reflex, the gag reflex is further forward in babies which helps to protect the airway.
Another thing LOs can do is swallow a piece which is too big, so it's gone past the airway (not a choke) and then their body expels it because it is too large - this is like a vomit although with some just the big lump is expelled whilst with others they will also expel the entire contents of their stomach.  Again it is a natural way for the body to protect itself but can be a bit distressing, often more so for parents than for the LO - I can remember mine doing this vomming up large lumps onto his high chair tray and then picking it up and having another go.

As HH said you can try different textures with the finger foods, sometimes drier foods are easier rather than the softer pulpier foods (eg I worried more about soft bread balling in the roof of the mouth and DS being unable to dislodge it than I was about a toasted crust which was hard and less doughy).  You might also try some different pasta shapes for example which, he might find easier to swallow than mushy banana (you can just serve cooked without any sauce, easier for little hands to pick up and manipulate, sauce can be served separately).

If you are able to find a paediatric first aid course in your area you might find this helpful, they go through what to do if LO chokes. Just knowing what to do can help to reduce the worry of meal times.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 20:50:46 pm »
"work with the child you have".... all the so called "experts" in this world work on "averages" of when it comes to when children should do things. In terms of averages it's a point that is the most popular kind of thing. There will always be children that do things at a different rate. At 7mo I wouldn't worry about moving past purees if he is enjoying it, then continue, try again in a few months & maybe if you are at a Dr/early childhood nurse for an appointment, bring it up, but really until 12mo solid foods are "try & play" & 99% of nutrition can come from breast milk or formula without it being detrimental.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:34:17 pm »
Thanks all - very helpful. I'll just be patient and try him more gently. Always hard when the first one weans like the books say and the second one throws you a curveball! He loves gnawing on finger food (so long as bits don't break off!) so i'll keep going with that too.

Weaning and Teething I'm sure don't mix well either ;-)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 20:21:53 pm »
IMHO textbook children first can be hard because it gives you a false sense of security that you are doing the right thing & then if you get a spirited or touchy child then it all flies out the window. I do think it was easier to have my spirited grumpy child first & then my textbook angel, because I'd learnt to parent the child I had rather than what books said was normal.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05