Author Topic: 8 month old dropping afternoon feed but still waking hungry at night  (Read 2005 times)

Offline LizzieZombieMummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi

As the title says, my 8 month old daughter has started to loose interest in her mid afternoon milk feed. However, she is still waking in the night for a proper feed and will not settle until she has a full tummy. I'm wondering whether to just go with it or cut back her solid lunch to try and get to her to take more milk in the afternoon. Her eating routine generally is something like the following:

6.45/7am BF both sides takes about 20mins
8am millet porridge or yoghurt and fruit about 1.5 dessert spoons plus fruit finger food.
11/11.15 FF about 160ml
12.30 veges around 1 desert spoon plus cheese/egg/tahini mixed in or on the side. Plus vege finger food.
3.30 BF I'm lucky now if she feeds for 5 mins. The other day I gave her expressed milk and she took 80ml. She is very distracted at this feed, so do it in semi darkness and really have to persevere.
5.30 varies. I try and give her what her older brother is having as finger foods. Veges, meat, pasta, salad. She loves eating with her hands and seems to swallow a fair bit and if not I might encourage her a bit more.
6.45 FF between 160-200ml
Sometime between 12.00 and 4am BF both sides

She used to STTN fairly regularly and the last time she did was when she had a really good afternoon feed followed by a really good BT feed. I don't think she has much in the way solids and would eat a lot more if I kept spooning it in! She is a big baby for her age.

Do you suggest cutting back the solids to ensure she gets more daytime milk? Or go with it and offer an afternoon snack perhaps? Obviously I would prefer her to drop the night feed before any daytime feeds.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: 8 month old dropping afternoon feed but still waking hungry at night
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:51:12 am »
Being honest i would try to cut the night feed. At 6mo my son was having a DF and than refused morning feed. If he took a good morning feed he would refuse mid morning and if refused mid morning he refused the afternoon one. Always somewhere. Your solid routine looks good and I cannot imagine cutting solids at 12:30 will help with bigger feed 3h later. But cutting milk at night might help. On the other hand, how many times a day you feed him from breast? Is it 2-3x times? Morning, night and sometimes mid-afternoon? Is your supply going fine? Do you see any preference with her towards breast or Formula?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:53 am »
Thanks for your reply. Of course I'd love to drop the night feed but don't know how to go about it. I cannot face doing pupd. I think you may have hit on something though. In order to keep up my supply I have to pump throughout the day, which is becoming a right hassle. The only reason I haven't stopped breastfeeding completely is to make the night and morning feeds easier! Perhaps dropping the night feed will be easier if I can control what she has from a bottle.

I realise that this may not be a solids question now...!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 14:38:54 pm »
It looks like this is more a milk feed question rather than solids - not to worry I can move your thread to the appropriate board.
Just to be certain though, I see you are mix feeding at the moment, is it your intention to stop BF? It sounds like it is but sometimes people want to move to formula because they feel there is a problem or difficulty with the BF which is making it too difficult to continue.  If there is a problem or difficulty there could be some advise to help you with that.
I could move this to the BF board for you if you like?

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 17:52:06 pm »
No its ok, thank you. I'll see how I get on over the next few days. Yes I'm going to give up breastfeeding. Earlier than I intended but thinking it over a lot, I think it'll help in all sorts of ways. I gave her a bottle yesterday afternoon and she slept until 5.30 this morning, which we haven't had for a while so this could move us in the right direction....

Thank you both. It's amazing how someone asking a couple if questions can make you realise something that you actually knew anyway...!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 18:45:02 pm »
:)  It's often helpful to share thoughts and just talk things through.  That's why I love it here.