Author Topic: GAS PAIN AND SLEEP  (Read 1280 times)

Offline HEILIGENSCHEIN

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:10 am »
Hello everyone,

Just bought Tracy's book and still reading it. I read about it on the internet but haven't tried it before because I thought I needed to work on my baby's gas problem. Well she is 10 weeks old. Ss many babies we started really well. She was just waking up for food. She is breatfed btw. I don't know what happened but after 3rd week her sleep habits changed completely. I figured out it was gas because whenever I  massage her she releases a noticeable amount each time :) And the cryings as well. Most people said that it is gonna end when we reach our 3rd month but I see no change yet. On the contrary it seems that she is getting worse. I feel like I am losing control. Before I could make her sleep on herself at least for a few times but for these last 4 or 5 days she cries badly when I put her down and I can't calm her. She has been sleeping in different ways. If I felt like she had digestion problem, I let her sleep on my chest for hours because otherwise I knew that she was gonna wake up the moment I put her down. However, I kept trying and sometimes I was successful at putting her sleep on her own. If I achieve to make her sleep she sleeps for 1 hour at most. I couldn't find any info about gas problem and sleep issues. I am writing this post holding her in my arms for 2 hours and guess what she is sleeping :( Even now she makes some noises that shows that she is in pain. I guess her body is somehow heated by my body temperature and she is in upright position so gas doesn't bother her that much.  I don't want to tire her. If I force her, she gets angry and upset and overtired as well. Surprisingly she has good sleep at night. If we are lucky she sleeps at 8 pm. If not, we see 10 pm. If I try to breastfeed her at 11 pm, she sucks a bit but not like she is hungry. She wakes up around 4 am, mostly I see her crunching her legs and crying. I try to calm her down by moving her legs but generally she gets milk and goes back to an uncomfortable sleep till 7 am. If she can poo in the morning I see myself luck because she sleeps at least two 45 minute naps till 12 am. Then, it is all chaos. Most people say gas pain starts in the evening times but ours is during daytime. They say I am lucky because she sleeps at night but you should come and see me trying to do housework with her in my arms :)

Anyway, I am blessed with her existance but want you guys' opinions and comments like how to start, where to start. Should I wait a bit more till I am satisfied that she gets over her gas problem or force her. Have you guys had similar problems? How did you approach them?

Offline HEILIGENSCHEIN

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:06:05 pm »
Here is a new development. Today after i have posted this, she woke up after a three hour sleep on my shoulder 😊 then i gave her a massage before i fed  her because she poops only when she is fed. Giving massages after feedings is not a good idea because her tummy is full. Anyway, she fell asleep a few time while she was breastfeeding i woke her up and burped her many times. She pooped 😂 i waited till she finishes her meal and then it was activity time in my head. She stayed 1 30 hours awake. I took her to the kitchen with me till she is fussy. Then took her to her room by singing her favourite lullaby and kept her in my arms till i could see the tiredness in her eyes. Left her in her crib and enyojed how she fell asleep on her own. I guess my baby can quickly adopt this EASY routine but i dont know how to approach her when she is in pain. I am afraid to teach her to sleep on my chest 😞 I would like to hear from the experienced ones

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: GAS PAIN AND SLEEP
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:23:30 pm »
Hi and welcome!

I'm wondering since you're exclusively breastfeeding if maybe there is a food sensitivity to something in your own diet at play here. It's very common for babies to have symptoms like this for a dairy allergy, for example (although t could be other things). You can try cutting out dairy from your own diet completely for a few days and see if you notice a difference. If so, you know you're on to something.

It does often take a few days to really see a result, though, since dairy stays in your milk for quite some time after you stop consuming it (I want to say a week or two?), but often you can see a noticeable result in a few days as the quantity of dairy baby gets from nursing decreases.

Do you have any anti-gas medicine where you are? Here we have "Gas-X," which is a brand of simethicone, that can help reduce gas, and there is a baby version of it available that many parents swear by (we had mixed luck). If not, how about gripe water? (I never heard of it until I came to these forums!)