Author Topic: Getting on good schedule.  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: March 23, 2017, 18:21:54 pm »
My 8 mo lo is just starting to sleep without waking at 5 am (although today he was up at 4:55 I fed him and he fell back asleep until 7. Now we are trying to get on a good routine. If he wakes at 7 he goes down for nap around 10:15-10:30 until about 11:45. Then next nap is always hard. Big brother is home and I try to put him down around 3 but he struggles and doesn't end up falling sleep until 330 and never sleeps more than 30 mins and now he's not falling asleep as easily at night and is up until around 7/730. Any suggestions? I think that second nap needs tweaking somehow. Thanks.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Getting on good schedule.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:53:15 am »
Maybe it's all the sleep he needs.  Some LOs this age do 3hr or 3hr 15 A times, others do much much longer. So if you are putting him down at around 3hr 15 for each nap and again 3hr A time before BT then it makes sense that there is less time for day time sleep.  If the second nap was longer (and might need a longer A time before it) then BT could end up much later.  An 11.5hr to 12hr night is pretty good.  LOs who can do these longer nights will often end up with one of the naps being shorter.  LOs who have longer naps often end up with the night being shorter - I'm not sure you'd be happy with a night of only 10.5hrs when you know your LO can do closer to 11.5/12hr.
You could try an additional 15 min on that A time before nap 2 and see if it's any easier to resettle or do a W2S but you need to be prepared then for the chance of BT moving even later and the night being shorter.

hope this helps

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 14:33:07 pm »
I agree! I think he needs about 14 hrs so 11.5-12 at night one nap of 1.5 hrs and the other 30 mins. I do wish it was more like an hour that way I could have a little time with the big kid and it's such a struggle to get him down for just 30 mins. I have tried 3 hr 3 15 and 3.5 hr A time and he struggles with all of them. I didn't think he would need so much a time after such a short time and before bed. Which is why I tend to do the shorter A time that way if it's just going to be a 30 min nap anyways rather it be earlier as to keep bedtime at 7. Yesterday he took a 2 hr 15 min nap in the morning after 3 hrs A time. I let him sleep as he does this once in a while to catch up. But then as you could imagine he wouldn't go down for an afternoon nap so he was up from 1215-645! He woke once crying at 830 pm but then slept until 630 am!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 19:46:16 pm »
How can i get him to settle better for that afternoon nap though even if it is just 30 mins? I don't think he's tired and he cries and it can take 30 mins to get him to nap for 30.

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 13:40:47 pm »
Hmm..the only options I can think of are either to be very persistent and keep at it until he sleeps in his cot for the 30 mins (maybe at a later time although it could effect BT) or to AP that CN.
It might be easier once he is more active and physically tired from crawling/cruising/walking.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 14:42:50 pm »
The afternoon nap has always been short. And he still wants to be up until 7! After only a cn. When the weather gets Warmer I will apop nap in the stroller. But how could a baby be up all afternoon without a nap. He is very active now crawling standing etc.

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 17:38:18 pm »
Maybe he is low sleep needs.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
He also seems to need 3.5 hrs A time before bed so being that it's hard to get him down for that afternoon nap it can be late making bedtime even later. He didn't fall asleep until 330 yesterday slept until 4 and they didn't fall asleep until 730! Which is late at my house as my tiddler is already in bed. But I can't just not let him nap at all all afternoon right?!

Offline creations

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 13:53:51 pm »
He didn't fall asleep until 330 yesterday slept until 4 and they didn't fall asleep until 730!
This doesn't seem at all unusual to me.

But I can't just not let him nap at all all afternoon right?!
Most 8 month olds will need 2 naps, yes.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 19:23:28 pm »
I can not get this baby to nap in the afternoon! It's crazy