Author Topic: 3-2 transition; preserving bedtime  (Read 1676 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
3-2 transition; preserving bedtime
« on: March 23, 2017, 23:48:22 pm »
While pushing AT to combat short naps I have found myself in the midst of the 3-2 transition.

My LO is just over 24 weeks and below is what today looked like:

7am wake
8am BF
940 sleep (chatting after 45min, mantra cry after 60 min, fell back asleep at 80 min)
11:45 wake
1200 BF
215 sleep
400 wake BF
500 BF (LO has been extra impatient with feeds and did not eat well today... Another issue)
600 CN (did not settle at all)
625 BF
645 bath and BT routine
715 BT ~15 min mantra, fussing

Questions: as I increase AT the CN gets pushed back further.  Today I put her down after only 2h of AT b/c I was concerned about preserving BT (usually between 7-730).

I assume she struggled with CN b/c she was UT??

Any suggestions with regards to my routine to help with this transition?

Thanks again

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3-2 transition; preserving bedtime
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 13:39:47 pm »
It might be worth just pushing through to the 3hr A time (especially for the first A where she looks a bit UT) and drop the CN.
Something like:
WU 7
A 3
S 10 - 11.30/45
A 3
S 2.30 - 4.15/4.30
A 2hr 45
BT 7pm

What do you think?  The nap times are not super late, just about another 15 mins or so from what you are doing now, but with 2 decent length naps she should be ok.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 13:49:22 pm »
That was what I was thinking.

She is also having a mini crib party usually from 6-630 am. Do you think that will improve with the drop of CN? Or later BT (730-8)? Or both??

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 08:31:03 am »
Dropping the CN can help to increase night length but not necessarily the first or even second night (it could - but it also might not) so for now I'd focus on that increase A time, dropping the CN and then see where you are with the cot-party after the naps settle down.  Cot-parties are often a sign of UT and the need to drop a bit of day sleep.
I wouldn't move BT later because she will be more tired without her CN so dropping the CN and moving BT later at the same time can cause OT which can also cause early waking - one thing at a time.

hope this helps

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 15:02:49 pm »
Makes sense...

My LO continues to struggle with first nap. We usually get 2h but with intermittent sleep.. she probably only sleeps for half that time.

A lot of intermittent mantra crying, occasional chatting. It starts after 25 min usually.

Is it OT that she wakes at 25min?

Or does this whole nap reek of UT... I have been increasing her AT...

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 19:02:50 pm »
If her A time is reasonable for age (it is unless she needs significantly different from the guidance times) and if she is trying to self settle (the mantra) then it is more likely a bit of UT in my opinion although some people would always say 25 min is OT.  There can be a bit of OT creep in when dropping a nap but it is worth riding out to get onto the new routine.
I think if you increase to 3hrs you will have some results.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 19:06:27 pm »
I think you are right. I am just a chicken with pushing the AT did 2:50 today.

I need to be more brave :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 19:08:24 pm »
You would be surprised perhaps by just how common it is for parents to be afraid of increasing A times. So many parents worried about OT but UT can be worse in my opinion.
You can do it - worst that happens she wakes up and you help her back to sleep - best that happens she has a lovely long nap and you get a cup of tea :)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 15:09:31 pm »
Update: things are moving along...

So we have pushed AM AT to 3 h for last 2 days. LO wakes a couple of times between 25-60 min, needing support to settle a couple of times, then continues for a 1:40-2h nap.

We have been doing 2nd nap after 2:45 AT and we get a 2h nap with usually only one time to help settle around 40 min

BT is after another 2:30-2:45 AT @7:00

LO did wake up early for DF then twice in night to feed (which is unusual), but could be a one off... Or could be me still trying to figure out her feeds with her new routine.

Does this look normal for a recent change in AT? Something that will stabilize with time? Or do you think she is struggling to put herself back to sleep? (More training required?)

Thanks for all your help and support!!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 18:12:56 pm »
It looks like some improvement with fewer disturbances during naps so I would continue a see how things settle down.
With the nights, maybe a growth spurt?  They do get incredibly hungry when they have a GS and need extra food (my 6yo is going through one and he even woke last night wanting food!  Although at 6yo I told him to wait for breakfast time!)

See how the routine goes for another few days or a week.  The waking during nap after 3hrs A time can be a touch of OT but she can get used to the longer time.