Author Topic: 2 1/2 yr old regressed big time  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Jillyott3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 29, 2017, 17:15:59 pm »
Hello I am at my wits end with this problem and would love some help or suggestions. Thank you for reading.
Back story. My son was a great sleeper early on. Took good naps and started sleeping through the night at 5 or 6 weeks. He went down by himself and woke up happy. Last February we put an addition on our house and our son moved into a new room. He transitioned very well and continued to sleep through the night. Last April we had a baby girl. At this time our son was about a year and a half old. He was still sleeping through the night. Then about a month before he turned two he did a complete 180. He started screaming multiple times throughout the night. We would go in and lay Him down and he would go back to sleep for a bit, then do it again. From there t progressed to screaming the second we laid him in his crib. Then he started climbing out so we transitioned him to a toddler bed so he wouldn't fall out and hurt himself. But this meant he didn't stay out and would leave his room and refuse to go down. So we tried the safety door knob on the inside so he couldn't open the door which made him scream until he would puke. He is so stubborn he would never give in. He quit napping entirely. Now the only way he goes to sleep at night is if we lay on the ground next to his bed. Then he usually wakes up between 11 and 1 and comes in our room. I've tried putting him back in his bed but he won't have it. I don't really want him in our bed so I put a sleeping bag on the floor in our room which he sleeps in. But I know this is not ideal. Does anyone have any pointers for how to get him going down on his own again and staying in his own room? I'm willing to put the time into getting him to do it. I've just run out of ideas.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 2 1/2 yr old regressed big time
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:16:23 am »
(((hugs))) that sounds tough

It sounds like he's scared ATM to be left alone to nod off, and then when he wakes/rouses in the night he of course wants you.

IIWY, I think I'd work first on getting him to sleep independently at BT again, and then tackle resettling him in his bed for NWs.  You may even find he starts to sleep through again once he's nodding off independently at BT.

It sounds like you might have to do it in quite a gentle way to gain/keep his trust, and avoid him getting so upset.  Have you read about the gradual withdrawal method?  Have a look here and see what you think.
Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Also, you say he's not napping now (which is relatively common at this age).  How long are his nights?  Do you think he's getting enough sleep overall?  Just wondering if there could be any OT involved too and, if so, a slightly earlier BT might help.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old