Author Topic: Edit: HELP! Completely off track! Previous habitually waking post.  (Read 1843 times)

Offline RLW2227

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do you know if LO is waking habitually? What is the best wait to "start" an EASY schedule?

Long story short...my LO is now 8weeks old. We've come a long way with figuring out reflux and getting on medication. This has greatly improved her ability to go to sleep.  So now I'm trying to get her more of a "schedule" but I'm not sure where to start? 

My ideal wake up time is 6am (as this will be the case when I go back to work in 4weeks) but she seems to habitually be waking between 4:00 and 4:20.  This is after she's had a night feeding somewhere between 12:30-2:00. I tended to feed her if it's been closer to three hours since she last ate but this interferes with eating 6.

The other night I fed her starting after 2 and she still woke at 4. I knew she wasn't hungry as she had just eaten so I changed her diaper (thinking that's what woke her) and shh/pat/pacifier  back to sleep. But should I feed her if it's been three hours since last feeding? Should I try wake to sleep if it's within the hour I get her back to sleep after NF (NF 1:30-2:00, put back to sleep; would have to wake to sleep at 3)?

Also, what is the bed time I should be aiming for? Gahhh, it's like one connected puzzle and I don't know how to "move" one piece without moving  all the others?!?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 18:43:57 pm by RLW2227 »

Offline RLW2227

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Edit: HELP! Completely off track! Previous habitually waking post.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 19:01:35 pm »
I wasn't sure what the best way to post an update was so I edited the title to reflect more what's happening...we're completely off track! It seems  the more I try to establish the EASY routine the "worse" napping and letting go into sleep have become.

For the past two days, will not nap past one hour. Sometimes I can settle her for another 45 - 60 minutes. I'm not sure if I should be feeding her when waking or if she is somehow ready to push toward 4 hour EASY at only 9w1d old. She is also eating for less length of time (EBF) and seems fairly happy when awake, wide-eyed/alert.

Here is today so far:
NF 1:40a
*refused to sleep with shh/pat and pacifier. Would get to point if letting go and wake up. Eventually "fed" her again at 3:30a to which she fell sleep after about 2/3 normal feeding time. This was after horrible naps yesterday so I assumed over-tired?
S 3:30a
E 5:50a
A yawn at 6:45, short A time but since horrible night did not want her over-tired again
S 0650
A 0745, resettled
S 0755
E 0900
A
S 1005
A 1030, resettled
A 1105 couldn't resettled
E 12:00
A tried to put down by 12:40 but did not let go until
S 1:30 - 2:00
A tried to resettle but refused. And now she's sitting  in bounce seat while I write this. She's had some yawns but then re-awakes. Attempting to feed at 3:00 to get back on schedule.

What do you think is going on?  She is a fairly hard to read: continued to latch then unlatch  when done eating. Doesn't root often anymore.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 21:41:24 pm »
Hard to believe it's been 15 years since I was in your shoes, but - yup! For my first Mother's Day as a mother myself, I BEGGED (and got!) DH to get me a consult with Tracy. Here's how it went for us - I'm hoping there's something in there you can use. Josie was 12ish weeks at that point, but pretty much everything else sounds familiar enough to give me flashbacks. :D

How Tracy Helped Josie and her Family Get Past 45-Min. Naps!

Offline RLW2227

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:07:52 am »
Wow, thank you for your response and information!! Hard to picture my LO as a 15 year old but I pray to see her there one day!!

I am going to try and tweak some things tomorrow and see how she does, starting with the light feed in her room before her first nap after a push of her A time. We shall see how that goes for her first EAS.

Part of the problem is definitely the reflux. I feel her symptoms masked so much of the "getting to know her" phase. And I've been over -compensating for when she was so uncomfortable; without meaning to, developed myself into a prop for sleeping. Instead of guiding her to sleep, I was doing too much shh/pat, holding her pacifier in place or replacing too quickly, re-swaddling her too tightly...she was never getting a chance to self-soothe.  I did more of what I did with my DS when he was little this evening and it seems to have helped.

I really appreciate the advice!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 12:10:32 pm »
Josie's reflux was really quite severe: the doctors, I think, pictured normal spit-up when what we had was FOUNTAINS of milk, and at that point in time none of the BW books even mentioned reflux - but the stories about it were all over the boards here which is the only reason it crossed my radar as a new mom.

Good luck!