Author Topic: 2yr old Playing at Naptime and Bedtime  (Read 1293 times)

Offline mrsroberts4

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:06:17 pm »
Hello,

Sorry I was speaking with Creations on another thread, but I hope you won't mind me posting this question here so I can hear from any other mums that may have gone through this with their toddler.

Long story short, my son is now 2 years and 2 months old and has been such a bad sleeper his whole life. Creations helped me get him into a routine that worked and then in typical DS style, he throws everything back into chaos once it works. It's a constant up and down battle.

His new thing now is to take up to an hour to go to bed. He isn't crying or protesting, he's playing.

Is anyone else going through this? Is it normal? What are your routines like for your 2 year olds who have one nap?

Thank you
Quote (selected)

COPIED FROM THE OTHER THREAD

Quote (selected)
We put DD1 in the same room as his sister (3.5yrs old). We were worried about it as he is such a bad sleeper but it went perfectly. He sleeps better beside her and sleeps through the night.

The only problem now is that he is fighting naps and bedtime. Not fighting, but after putting him to bed he jumps, plays and laughs in his cot. I dont know if I should post this as another thread as it's a different issue, but it's really annoying.

It appears as though he is undertired, but I have no idea what to do with him. As creations mentioned above, I have tried to lessen the nap (albeit not for a week), but I cant get the sweet spot right.

Here is his schedule:

7am - wake
12pm/12.30pm - up to bed for nap... will laugh, talk, look out the window, jumps, bounces, kicks happily in his cot.
1pm/1.30pm? - Falls asleep
2pm/2.30pm - I have to go in and wake him up otherwise it will get too close to bed time.
7.30pm/8pm - start bedtime routine.
8pm/8.30pm - Close the door and he will do the same as nap time above...
9pm/9.30pm (last night 10pm!) - he falls asleep.

He sleeps through the night (apart from the odd here and there since I brought home the new baby) but it's driving me crazy! :(
He went without a nap cold turkey and went to bed at 6.15pm but then woke in the night presumably from overtiredness? I have no idea anymore.  ???

I'll post this in another thread too just incase no one reads this one anymore, but I would love to know what other people do for their 2year olds. Am I doing something wrong?

Ideally I would like him to go to bed at 7.00pm or 7.30pm, but that seems impossible.
I also don't know if me waking him up from an extremely deep sleep is the right thing to do, but I feel that if he goes any further bedtime will be 10pm or later :( we have a new baby so having 3 during the day is hard, I need a little me time before I go to bed too.

Thank you in advance  :-*

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 2yr old Playing at Naptime and Bedtime
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 13:25:44 pm »
Have you tried pushing the nap later and possibly capping it? He seems undertired to me. I would gradually start pushing it towards 1 o'clock./1. 30 but keep wake up time at 2 30. O centre he starts settling better you can stop pushing and stick where  you are.
That's what I'd do anyway!
Gemma

Offline mrsroberts4

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 17:42:10 pm »
Thank you very much, I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens.
 I probably should have tried that before, I think I was just worried that if I put him to bed that late, he would just play still until 2.30pm and then have no nap and wake over tired in the night.

Hearing someone else say it makes sense though.

Thank you so much!

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 18:47:54 pm »
Good luck! And it wasn't meant to say o centre, it meant to say as soon as he is sleeping!
Gemma