Author Topic: 2-1 transistion at 9 months?!  (Read 8458 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 2-1 transistion at 9 months?!
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 11:15:40 am »
Is it an habitual waking? Maybe W2S when you go to bed or an hour before he typically wakes and see if that helps. I think the most likely thing to bring the WU later is actually to push the first nap later. If he can do 4hr+ A time off a 1hr nap, I would fairly confidently push that first A time to 3:45 then 4hr and see if that helps.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2017, 18:38:05 pm »
Ok I'll push out the A time. This morning he had 3.5 hrs a time but only slept 45 mins which he never does. Is that an ut nap? That second. So might come as late 4 pm though which is kind of late no? How many hours A time before bed?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 18:56:01 pm »
Today he was up around 615 maybe earlier napped from 945-1030 and I can't beg him down for afternoon nap! I've been trying Since 230! It's now 3 and he's still awake!

Offline becj86

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 22:05:55 pm »
Yep, that 45 min waking is UT.

I found if I could get a really long first A time, the rest of the day went better.

Sorry you've had such trouble with the second nap. This is the kind of day I'd do EBT at 4:30/5...

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2017, 00:16:42 am »
Funny he was just doing a 3 hour A time last week and this week he went to a 3.5 can he really be ready for a 4 hr a time already ?! I was finally able to get him to sleep a bit after 3 and he slept until 345 so another 45 min nap after a short morning nap and a 4.5 hr A time! Just seems crazy. So how do i work in 2 naps if he's up at 630 (ideally) naps from 1030-12 and then won't be ready for a nap until 4?!  That seems so late for a nap and I'm afraid it will mess with his night sleep. Can he do a short last A time before after 2 long A times ?

Offline becj86

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2017, 02:04:41 am »
The 3hr A time was probably far too short - more appropriate for a baby of 6-7 months old.

Can he do a short last A time before after 2 long A times ?
Yes, I found and many others here have too, that if the 'main' 2 A times are long enough, the last one can be short. It depends upon the child, of course, but keeping A times even really goes out the window at this age.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 19:22:47 pm »
We have a few days now where he's refusing that afternoon nap again. We've pushed that first A time to 3.5 sometimes more.  It's been 4.5 hours A time since morning nap and I still can't get him down! Then it results in him being asleep by 630 and up in the morning at 530! It just seems like he's too interested in crawling and cruising and he knows his brother is home and doesn't want to miss out.

Offline becj86

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2017, 21:09:36 pm »
It just seems like he's too interested in crawling and cruising and he knows his brother is home and doesn't want to miss out.
Yep, this is a phase, TG it does stop eventually but its rough while you're in it.

It was the PM nap refusal that finally broke me and I did a 20min capped nap after a long A time in the AM then a short (2hr) A time while he was definitely OT and then put him down for a PM nap that he reliably took. It was a gamble but it worked for us. Not sure I could've done it with a toddler around as well though.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2017, 13:34:25 pm »
I definitely can't swing that with the older one. At least his morning nap is decent and reliable. But wow being up from 11- 630/7 is a long day for everyone lol. I've tried earlier bedtime but he only sleeps 11 hrs to the min usuallly.

Offline becj86

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 06:56:00 am »
Keep offering the pm nap here and there (maybe not every day if you can't bear it) - once he's through this 9mo leap which is a big one, he may start taking it again. Mine did and most LOs I've seen go to one nap at 9 months it has been temporary.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2017, 13:50:26 pm »
It's been a long while since he's napped in the afternoon. He usually goes to bed around 630/7 and is up probably around 6 but I'm not really sure of that because he plays quietly in his crib. He has been taking a 1.5-2 hour sometimes more nap in the morning though. In the morning when I wake I look at the monitor and he's always up just messing around in his crib but quietly so i don't really know early he's gotten up. I'm asssuming it's around 6 because that's when I usually get up and he's always already up. But morning naps are getting trickier where he's not passing out right away when i put him in. So I'm not reallly sure how long of an A time he's doing. But he either needs a  longer A time or he's up not as early as I think. We drop off big brother at school and get home around 915. We usually take a walk around the garden or go on the swing weather permitting and this seems to be a good wind down before the nap. Now that he's staying awake longer I'm not sure of a good wind down being that as soon as i put him down to stand he's off playing and I find it harder to get him to go down for a nap. My other lo used to sit for books which was a good wind down but not his guy. Any tips?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:24 am »
Yesterday lo was up at 5 am! I didn't go in he made some chatting noises for a while and ended up falling back eventually (which he never does) and it probably took him a while to but I'm trying so hard to get a later wake time. Then I woke him at 7 (he's also has only slept as late as 7 a few times in his life).  I was able to do nap at 1045 instead of his usual 930 and he slept his average time of a 1.5 hours woke at 1215 then bed at 7. He doesn't take another nap never really did no matter how hard I try. I was sure he'd sleep later today but he's up before 6 again. Ugh. We are gettin close to a year old how do I get him to sleep past 6 am ? He's only getting 1.5 hrs day sleep and about 10.5/11 at night.

Offline becj86

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:55 am »
Yes, I think its time to fix that first nap later if you can. When WU is getting earlier and earlier, often that's because the first nap (or only one in your case) is too early. I think that might be part of why he's not falling asleep as quickly too - UT will do that.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2017, 12:02:09 pm »
His day has been like this:

530/6 awake  this is the tricky part as he doesn't make any noise in his crib so I'm never really sure when he actually wakes up. Today when I woke at 630 he was awake already.
630 bottle he's only taking about 6 oz breakfast around 730.
10 -1130 nap usually a 4 hour A time here. Like I said I'm not really sure could be longer. He usually goes down easily and on average sleeps 1.5 hours although twice last week he slept over 2.5 hours!!
1130/12 lunch
Formula in sippy cup with snack around 2/3 takes a couple oz only
430/5 dinner trying to make this later around 5 to see if it makes him sleep better at night but he's usually hungry by 430.
630 upstairs get ready for bed and bottle takes 8 oz asleep by 645/7.
I've tried bed early at 630 and as late as 730 trying to see if he'll sleep later in the morning but doesn't really make a difference he's alway up by 6 or earlier.

Am I doing bed too late or early? At that point he's been up for 7 hours! But I'm hesitant to try earlier than 630. He's happy and playful and very busy so I don't really push for that afternoon nap anymore like I was because it was very stressful a lot of crying and trying to resettle and my older one also
Needing my attention.

Offline becj86

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 09:07:16 am »
You could try pushing that first nap a bit later.

Can you record the nap lengths and night lengths for a while? Just wondering if you have a bit of a longer OT/UT cycle going there with those sometimes much longer naps.

I think if you were to do early BT, it would have to be about 5pm. You would almost certainly be up at 3:30 or so for a resettle though :-/ Is that a time you could show him outside and tell him its still night time and he has to go back to sleep?

If its working for you and he's not cranky and horrid in the early evening, I'd be inclined to leave it and just know you may have to revisit in a month or two.