Author Topic: Conceptual question  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: March 21, 2017, 22:50:25 pm »
Hi there, a basic doubt: why do you recommend that the bedtime should be around 6/7 pm? I have a 3-year old boy and a 2 months baby girl, and her bedtime is around 8,30pm, and she usually wakes up at 8 in the morning. Sometimes, when I say here that this is her bedtime, people tell me that it is a long day - but not really, since she starts the day at 8... is there any benefit for the babies to go to bed and wake up earlier?
This schedule seems to be working for me, so I get a bit confused when I read that I should finish the day earlier...
Thanks! ???
Mariana

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Conceptual question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 23:16:06 pm »
If it works run with it! My older 2 had earlier bedtimes (7 ish if I remember right) but DD3 always did better with a 8 pm bedtime (in fact as a newborn she sort of set that time herself lol and it worked with the bedtime routines of DD's 1 & 2).
Heidi

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 23:52:37 pm »
Yup I agree with pp.  I think the general thought is moreso to keep a 12ish hour day (changes with age), so if that is 7-7 or 8-8 or anything in between it's totally fine, do what works for your family.  For us, our kids have to be up at 6:30am during the week because DH and I both work full time, so they are in bed at 7/7:30ish.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:18:18 am »
I think there could be many reasons for it
*Historically it seemed that babies in Western societies always went to bed early so when Dad (white collar worker) came home from work he only had to put up with them an hour or so, then it was adult time for the parents (at least that's what my Mum got told by her Dr when she raised us in the late 60's & 70's)
* Parents getting up to go to work need children up 7am (give or take) so it tends to be what works
* 7ish to 7is works for a mid day nap for older children
*someone's research somewhere probably said that 7-7 kind of day was good for their health - but loads of research has been found to be not quite a good example of fact.
* Also the more people doing what you are doing makes you feel more confident you are on the right path, so it's a bit like follow the leader, 7ish to 7ish works for many in terms of their daily routine so therefore it kind of becomes a "gold standard"

Since no 2 children are the same, the reality is, if it works for your child then it's "right"
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:51:56 am »
I heard that it coincides with natural biological rhythm. It means that around 6/7 usually city starts to live, it's louder outside, after 5am temperature usually goes up. But those arguments are about why the wake up time for children is around 6/7 - and with that WU you aim for 7pm BT. But if your LO happily sleeps till 8/9am I would be worried:).
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 19:52:51 pm »
and her bedtime is around 8,30pm, and she usually wakes up at 8 in the morning
I guarantee you if mine would have done this there would be no way I would awake him at 7am!  Sounds like bliss!
Go with it, it's fine IMO.
I do not think it is a long day at all, she is having an 11.5hr night which is great!  Mine only ever did 10, 10.5 possibly 11 if I was lucky, it's who he was as a baby.

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 17:28:53 pm »
Tha ks ladies! It keeps working for me so I wont change jt!! Thank you!