Author Topic: Pacifier or not  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: April 05, 2017, 17:41:22 pm »
Here I am again with a similar doubt. DD is 3 months old, and DS is almost 4. He sucks his thumb and there are no signs of weaning it. So I promised myself that DD wont start sucking her thumb. This is not an option for me.
Turns out she loves sucking her hands. For two nights, she managed to put the thumb in the mouth during Nw and immediately relaxed. So now I am putting gloves on her hands when she sleeps. She tries to suck the thumb but, since she cant, she soothes alone and gets back to sleep after a few minutes trying. In other words, after I started the gloves trick, she is sleeping soundly at night.

During the day, when she gets fussy, i give her a paci and she takes it, and it calms her.

Am I doing anything right? Is it ok not to offer the paci at night and do it during the day? Will I end up cofusing her? Should I stop offering the paci during the day? I wouldnt like to get her to be addicted to it without the need... thanks!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Pacifier or not
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 20:34:02 pm »
I kind of think if kids are going to be thumb-suckers, or finger-suckers, there really isn't a lot you can do to stop them  :-\ I very much understand why you might have reservations about it but the instinct to suck is very strong - and if they can't get at their preferred first option, they will look for another!  (Mum here to one thumb-sucker and one who sucks their wrist  ::)) I think it's fine what you're doing though, can't see why she would be confused.  Are you giving the paci for daytime sleeps?  Or just at fussy times?