Author Topic: Jet lagged baby!  (Read 1684 times)

Offline KBolton

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Jet lagged baby!
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:45:28 am »
Hello!

Does anyone have any tips for over coming jet lag? My LO goes to sleep independently for naps and night time. After being on holiday to see family with an 8 hour time difference, we are really struggling to get her back on track. 1.5hrs after bedtime, she starts crying and we spend hours trying to get her back into bed, only for her to wake again in 45mins. It isn't until about 1am that she'll go to sleep for the night and we'll wake her at 7am. We've been trying for over a week and we are all very exhausted!

My LO is almost 7 months and does two naps (1.5h) and a cat nap in the early evening. She is almost ready for 2 naps but her awake times are not quite there yet.

I would be grateful for any tips on how to reset her body clock!

Thanks, K

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Jet lagged baby!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 21:01:56 pm »
I wonder if you perhaps have 3-2 issues mixed up with your jetlag? (Though I would expect jetlag to have largely resolved by now-typically a day for every hour time difference, and often quicker for babies who are napping).  Could you try skipping the CN and see if you get a better start to the night? Most babies can handle 2 naps by this age x

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 21:54:25 pm »
I'd agree with the PP that it really doesn't sound lots like jetlag more the need to move to 2 naps.  I think the 2 longer naps & the cat nap are robbing from night sleep & she isn't really tired enough to go into a deep sleep.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline KBolton

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 17:28:12 pm »
Oh no! I have been dreading the 3-2 nap transition, but I think you might be right as we are still struggling (but not quite as much).  The main problem is the mornings, everytime I try to increase her morning awake time past 2 hours I get short, rubbish morning naps. I'll try again and do some routine tweaking!

I know in general the aim is 3 even awake times, has anyone managed a shorter one in morning and a slightly longer in the evening?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 19:09:58 pm »
It's not uncommon to have a shorter first A time, though too short can lead to early wakings so just bear that in mind :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 22:13:22 pm »
My Ds2 always had a catnap in the morning to fit around his brother's routine. He actually only every had one long nap right from when he was born because it worked for us.

It's really more about working with your child than it is about following a book routine.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline KBolton

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:51 am »
Thank you for your help! I'll keep pushing the morning.